Masters in Mechanics - recommendations for where to start?

I’ve been wanting to try the masters in mechanics membership. I’ve decided to get my feet wet with a one month trial.
Can anyone recommend where I should start?
I’ve basically watched damn near everything Troy has put out on YouTube. And I believe I understand the basics of most of the techniques discussed on YouTube. I probably have the least knowledge/experience with crosspicking. But I feel like right now, digging deeper into the pickslanting technique may yield faster results since I’ve been doing it for a couple of months now.
Any help is appreciated!!

2 Likes

If you don’t already have a pickslanting preference The Pickslanting Primer goes into a lot more detail on the various pickslanting mechanics. The three seminars all give great examples of each type of pickslanting using famous players.
If you already have a preferred picking motion you can just start watching the stuff related to that in order to get ideas on refining your technique.
Personally, I like to watch everything because you tend to pick up insights from every player.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!
I’m not 100% sure but I think I’m a natural uwps. However I do find myself using both slant techniques. When I watched the interview with MAB, I felt I most easily related to what he does. I don’t so much make a “bridge” like he does but I definitely anchor similarly and his string switching technique feels most natural to me.
Straight dwps like Yngwie and EJ tend to feel always in certain situations.
I’ll be sure to check out as many clips as possible!!

2 Likes

Currently this live broadcast we did for subscribers is a great place to start — nice hands-on intro to different picking motions:

https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/introduction-to-picking-motion/

Definitely also recommend watching through the Pickslanting Primer.

https://troygrady.com/primer/

The live broadcast has a lot of useful stuff not yet incorporated in the Primer (though we’re working on adding it!) so I’d say watch both. In total that should take just a few hours or maybe a weekend, and give you a good grounding in all the most important stuff we cover. If you have further questions just let us know!

1 Like

Awesome!! Thanks for that!!!

As @Brendan mentions, the broadcast on picking motion is definitely the place to start. The number one thing to do first is establish your picking motion. And it may not be the one you think is “natural” for you. In fact, I would really dispute that notion. “Natural” is just another way of saying, “the one you learned on your own”. It doesn’t mean it’s your best movement, and it definitely doesn’t mean you can’t learn others.

I would start by demo’ing all the movements we discuss and keeping the one that works the best right now. That gives you the most head start and keeps what you’re currently best at.

Good luck!

1 Like

Ok, I’ll do that…I suppose a short video afterwards would be another place to start as well? This way the members here can get a look at what’s going on.

Sure! Yes, afterward is good - once you’ve done the testing of the various motions, chosen one, and put at least a week or so into it. This way there’s something to critique as far as progress. Try not to agonize over this. Try to achieve the various setups as described in the broadcast, and see how far you get with each. Whichever works best right away - choose that one to start with.

Sounds good! Looks like my weekend is planned!! Lol

Ok…I’m in!!! The deed is done. Lol

1 Like

So far I’ve watched the intro and the first few chapters of the picking primer.
WOW…what great information. I’m just going to work my way through the examples given for the next few weeks and see what I can do with them. I’ve always struggled with the Yngwie 6 note pattern…looks like it’s time to dig in!!