Michael Paouris alternate picking

This seems like a nice exercise!
The album is named “Alternate picking” too, pretty awesome!

7 Likes

Wow that is awesome!!

Excellent! I’ve been looking for some tunes to play instead of my typical boring exercises. This may be a good compromise lol! I tune that is a decently musical string of exercises! There’s some nice patterns in here for sure, and his playing is top notch. I’ve never heard of him, but I love this forum since it’s a great way to learn about people like this. Thanks for sharing @Hadalpelagiclife!

1 Like

This guy is nuts on the bouzouki.
Some picking hand shots here:

2 Likes

I think you misspelled ‘bazooka’ …jk :slight_smile:

He’s insane! I’ll definitely be checking out more of him. I already found some pretty cool live-studio footage of more straight ahead jazz stuff. Just amazing playing!

Yeah, there are some good patterns in there for sure. It feels like an etude almost, it swings though!
I have transcribed most of it already, that part was quit easy but playing the fast arpeggio break will need a lot of practice. There are some very fast position shifts that will require work also.

1 Like

Someone sent me a clip of Michael’s “Paourissimo” on Instagram, and unfortunately the sounds we’re hearing here at 4:53 are simply not being produced by the picking motions on display. Feel free to watch at 25% speed:

The hand is nowhere near the fretboard during half of this. This is not an issue of video and audio sync. This playing is simply not real. There are numerous other moments in this seven-minute piece where multiple notes play during position shifts, such as the arpeggio section that immediately follows. Watch again at 25% speed:

Not to mention the fact that Michael’s technique is USX and isn’t really suited to 1nps arpeggio picking. A significant portion of this supposed performance is simply not credible.

It’s a shame because there’s plenty of live footage of Michael dazzling audiences on Gypsy-style lines. I featured a short clip of him in the Primer for this reason, i.e. as an example of great USX technique, which I think is still true. None of that makes this clip any more believable.

3 Likes