Michael Romeo shredding in 1994

I just found this on Youtube, check out his playing and that picking hand:

6 Likes

Great stuff! Shame about the quality, some of the patterns get a bit lost in the reverb, but it looks pretty old so fair enough! His fast stuff always sounds interesting, it’s never the cliched ‘shred’ patterns.

3 Likes

Yeah he wasn’t the typical neo-classical shredder, even though he was heavily influenced by Yngwie and Uli Roth. I sense a lot of keyboard influenced lines in his playing, especially his tapped stuff.

What do you make of his picking technique? Is he a crosspicker?

1 Like

Most of my influence is from piano music at the moment so I can relate to that!

I really like the famous ‘Sea of Lies’ lick around the 0.40 mark. Very musical.
As for what technique, i’m not sure. I’m not particularly knowledgeable about identifying other peoples technique (I can just about work out my own!) Haha!

2 Likes

The Sea of Lies lick is a killer! It’s the neoclassical equivalent of the tapping part of Eruption haha!

The other lick that gets me is the In The Dragons Den lick at 1.57.

Here is someone covering it as I can’t find any close up footage of Romeo playing it live.

2 Likes

I consider the Sea of Lies string skipping tapping lick to be to tapping what Becker’s Serrana is for sweeping.

1 Like

Yeah Sea of Lies is crazy, so smooth and clean too.

Everything is tapped - even his left hand is hammering on from nowhere, you can see he was using that technique in the 1994 at around 30 seconds. I’ve seen Romeo play descending arpeggios using all hammer ons - check this run from Eve of Seduction:

Some great close ups of his picking hand there too.

1 Like