Mirror option for us Lefties?

Hello,

First off, I’m grateful to be part of this community. There’s so much great information. I wanted to see if you guys would consider having a mirror option on the videos for us lefties. I have a mirror extension on my chrome browser that I can use on Youtube but unfortunately, I can’t use it here.

My brain has a hard time processing things like picking closeups and transposing them to lefty.

Thank you in advance

Eddi

1 Like

Hey, thanks and glad you’re enjoying so far! Good suggestion — while this is not possible with Vimeo (which we use for the “regular” videos like lessons / interviews), it is an option for Soundslice, so you can do this for any musical example!

Just hover over the video then click the little double left-right arrow — the center of the three buttons in the upper right of this screenshot:

1 Like

My lefty brain seems to have gotten use to flipping things over as nearly everything is geared for a right handed world :slightly_smiling_face:

Would be nice though.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information Brendan, I appreciate it. I’ve used soundslice for stuff from JTC. By any chance, are the Pickslanting Primer videos available there?

My challenge for some reason is when seeing the picking the hand. My brain cannot process the information for the life of me.

DJ, thanks for responding. For some weird reason, I can see chords and scales with minor issues.

Someone recently made me a left handed fretboard chart to dot scales and it was a life changer for me lol.

The picking stuff that is filmed with a magnet confused me for some reason.

Sure thing! Not sure what you’re asking exactly, we don’t have anything on JTC — but all musical examples on our site use Soundslice and should have that video flip / “mirror” capability along with all other Soundslice features!

1 Like

Oh duh! Sorry, I completely confused myself lol. For some reason I thought soundslice was mostly “exclusive” for jtc.

It would be great to be able to use that feature on all videos :slight_smile:

No worries! Yeah Soundslice has a few things, basically anyone can make a free account on their site, teachers can use for extra features, then they have an enterprise level for embedding on other sites, which is what we and many other music sites are using.

Interesting, we could consider enabling Soundslice for all videos, but may be a bunch of added complexity for really just this feature. Not sure any other Soundslice features are helpful for an hour-long interview or something. But at least it should work now for all musical stuff.

1 Like

If you want more left handed scale and fretboard resources, these are very good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1939619165/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_0R9OEb7DFM4MP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1796227463/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_YU9OEb2MRNA1G

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1091525528/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_WV9OEb12FKDRF

2 Likes

Brendan,

Thank you for considering this as a possibility. I understand all the effort that is put it to make these things possible. If it’s something that can be accommodated, I would truly appreciate it. Regardless, thank you so much for your diligence. You guys have already assisted me in more ways you can imagine.

1 Like

This is great!! Thank you!

1 Like

It would not be that hard to conceive and build such feature, but more work to maintain integration tests for this extra video feature.

Fretboard diagrams and text inside many videos would be flipped. Reading text and interpreting diagrams backwards might be confusing for you, but if you prefer the experience overall, you can do it.

Anyway, for the time being, you can copy’n’paste some javascript into the console of the pages of videos you like:—

document.querySelectorAll("video").forEach(e=>e.style.transform="rotateY(180deg)");

You can also make that into a bookmarklet. If you like this code’s effects, I suggest you do. You might want to modify the CSS Selector to make it more specific to the page at hand than video (which selects all video elements with a low degree of specificity).

rotateY” rotates pixels on the Y axis in a “row major” graph. A row major graph is where the rows are the outermost index and the columns are represented by the 'jth index in row[i][j].

Digital video is a series of images displayed in rapid succession. Images are like a graph in that they have rows and columns.

In the following example, the graph is “row major”. How many rows are there? How many columns are there?

let imageData = [
    [0, 0, 1, 0, 0],
    [0, 1, 1, 1, 0],
    [0, 0, 0, 1, 0]
];

If you then flip the columns, it would look like this:

let imageData = [
    [0, 0, 1, 0, 0],
    [0, 1, 1, 1, 0],
    [0, 1, 0, 0, 0]
];

If you want a further challenge, try this LeetCode example.

My surprisingly simple solution: [Edit: fixed link] https://leetcode.com/problems/flipping-an-image/discuss/602347/Another-One-line-Wonder-JavaScript

3 Likes

Thanks GTR, I’m trying my best to understand this and apply it but I’m a bit a confused. By any chance is there a video tutorial out there that shows this example?

2 Likes

OK, I made a video about it.

2 Likes

GTR, I greatly appreciate this. Thank you so much. Sorry for the late reply, work has been a little crazy lately. I’ll play around with this. Thank you!