Mixed escapes for 4+1+1 notes per string

Hi everyone :relaxed: new here. I am just rebuilding my technique, going back to basics. I have a question to ask everyone about a simple but more challenging exercise then i through:

Start on the B string the pattern goes

1-2-3-4 then changes to G string, then back down to 4-3-2-1 B string, And the motion with the picking hand is down up down up down through the whole phrase.

Basically a chromatic exercise with a upper string change or an ascending line, string change, then string change again to lower string and then descending line

B string : 1234
G string : 1
B string : 4321

Now seems to be a two way pick slanting thing, with change from up stroke escape to get to the G string to a change to down stroke escape. Am i thinking correct?

Thanks everyone :blush:

1 Like

If it absolutely has to be played the way you describe then it does need both upstroke and downstroke escape. But, two way pickslanting isn’t really used to describe these mixtures of escapes anymore. There are many reasons for this.

For example wrist players like Andy Wood are downstroke escape, but doesn’t actually have an upward pickslant. It’s more neutral. So If you picked like he does, you can make a string change after an upstroke by changing the direction the wrist travels. This is just one example though, it’s usually recommended to try it fast and see.

It really depends on how you pick. What joints you use, pick grip and arm position, escape path etc. You’ll likely have a default, or primary escape, and then may need a secondary motion to escape the opposite way.

4 Likes

Thanks jptk :
Yeah i figured it was a long those lines.
I am certainly more comfortable with downstroke escape motion, and so i am doing more research here troys videos in regards to the secondary motion. I naturally would just up stroke to get to upper string then escape that string on the down stroke , basically sweep it. But more because i been mixing economy picking in there, but the trick bit is going from even to odd then even. I suppose doing 1-2-3-4 B string then 1- 2 on the G string would be less tricky here. But at the end of the day i guess i really am wanting to have a more pure alternate picking approach in my wheel house so to speak, allowing for more things i can play.

Thanks again for the confirmation helps with my understanding of what to spend time on figuring out lol. :smiley:

1 Like

You could sweep the string change between the G and B and that would allow you to stay using the same motion without having to dip into mixed escape. It would also make it so that you’re starting back on a downstroke when you get back to the B string i.e.

B: D U D U

G: D

B: D U D U

1 Like

That works if your motion is upstroke escape but his default is downstroke escape.

1 Like

Yeah a lots of ways to do it right always lol. I am thinking :thinking: so …

B: DUDU : using the upstroke escape position, and puts me over top G string to make a played down stroke aka
G: D
Then i could just sweep from the trapped position to the B string D U D U

Unless i do crazy fast mixed escape not sure there’s another way, but i probably could with enough practice flip :upside_down_face: positions or escapes. Really seems like great practice for both mixed escapes and economy methods.

Thanks guys

1 Like