Mixing DBX, USX and DSX

Hey everyone, great site!

I’m Dave, 52 now and I’ve been learning lead guitar for nearly 2 years. I’m mostly into rock/metal and some old punk.

After having a good look through the site I have a couple of things I would like to mention and would really appreciate your opinions and advice.

Before I’d looked thoroughly through Pickslanting Primer I hadn’t heard of double escape picking DBX only USX and DSX.

I had thought that using DBX was probably the same as stringhopping but now I know that this isn’t the case I believe it makes things easier for me. I can now use a mixture of all 3 methods and without having to think as much.

Also when for instance playing 4 notes per string in a chromatic warm up exercise, starting from the low E string up to the high E string, although using USX was the correct method I found that I couldn’t mute the lower strings as I moved towards the high E string. When using USX for the four notes on the low E string and then using a kind of smiley face DBX motion when changing to the first note of the A string and then back to USX and so on I find that I can mute the low E string with my thumb and carry doing this up to the high E string.

I hope this makes sense and would be interested in your opinions.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I don’t think anyone could have any realistic opinion about your playing before seeing it :slightly_smiling_face:

Good luck with the videos :wink:

1 Like