Morse on Perfect Strangers

Hello folks!

Avoiding that old Ritchie vs Steve kind of discussion (which I don’t think is relevant, they are both geniuses) I was listening to the good old Total Abandon live today and couldn’t help myself from being blown away to the “version” of perfect strangers that morse does. It’s 100% different from Ritchie’s but I think it sounded awesome.

But there’s a part where Morse does one of those terrible fast, awesome sounding, crosspicking wizardly.
Somewhere between 3:13 he pulls the trick and I think it sounded amazing!
I’m really looking forward to trying to get it transcribed and practice that, anyone else would like to try? Would be nice to have a second opinion in this… Especially to transcribe that :rofl::rofl:

BTW the part I’m talking about is in this vid, around 3:13 to 3:23

:guitar::guitar:

1 Like

super classic song, came out when i was in HS. VERY hard to cover and even DP always struggled to make it sound great live (IMO)

the part you are referring to isnt THAT clear on the vid. if anything it looks like he is locked into DWPS?

1 Like

Indeed a super classic song. But to me sounds amazing live in both versions, Blackmore and Morse.

About the part I’m referring, it’s one of those “simple” phrases that Steve does, but he mixes a lot of chromatics between each note. I’m still not 100% sure about all the notes, but the picking is 100% alternate, that kind of crosspicking approach. Specially because he hit 3 notes, let’s say in the D string, and one note in the G, so it’s more like: D-U-D and U in the next string.

For now the best I could hear of it is something like (sorry for the poor transcription):

1 Like

any other clips of him playing similar stuff…even old Dregs stuff or whatever? pretty sure there r many live Steve clips out there

doesnt he have some instructional vids (power lines?) any help there?

In Powerlines he talks about this kind of lick. So I watched it and then using transcribe to slow down the song and that YT time thing to try to see the movements in the video I ended up with what I sended above. But as far as I can tell there is no hammers nor sweeping… pure alternate madness.

In all the videos of perfect strangers live, I never got a clean close of his hands in good quality.

hehe, Ritchie probably has lawyers preventing it!

1 Like