Most aggressive rock licks and solos?

I can’t find Live Sentence on Amazon Prime. I only see a G3 live from Denver but can’t figure out how to watch it lol

Its weird how it doesn’t come up, but here’s how to find it…

Search for UFO : misdemeanor tour, and when you find it , select " others also watched"…
And it will appear…

Its devastating

1 Like

Ah ok. The reason I didn’t find it was I was searching for Malmsteen and not Alcatraz lol

Thanks!

Surprised to see Jeff Loomis hasn’t gotten a mention here - Warrell Dane’s vocals may be a little bit of an aquired taste - he’s almost operatic, as opposed to the death metal growl you usually hear with this kind of music - but Loomis is a devastating player, and about as aggressive as I can think of.

Not sure where to send you for really great aggressive solos of his, but I guess the first song of theirs I heard was the opener/title track off “Enemies of Reality,” and the tune has an awesome riff with some pretty spastic/out there soloing.

His solo on “The River Dragon Has Come” gets a lot of love too, but while the tune is great I wouldn’t call the lead break exceptionally aggressive - it’s very arpeggio based.

1 Like

Great point.

I actually think that a lot of the “aggression” in a solo comes from what’s surrounding it – how you approach it, how you leave it, and what sort of riff is playing underneath it.

By that metric, RDHC is super super aggressive (although I’d agree that Enemies of Reality is probably more so).

As a result of making Pandora stations with bands listed in this thread I’ve discovered a pretty awesome shredder: Joe Stump

And it’s like how did I not hear of this guy before???

2 Likes

yeah I have like 3 or 4 of his instructional vids lol and a lot of his albums are online. great player and teacher at Berklee Music School

2 Likes

I just made a Joe Stump station on Pandora and loving it. Not one vocal - all shred and virtuoso …I love it!!!

2 Likes

file this away for reference lol

1 Like

Wow HOW have I not heard of him???

he was never in a famous band and his first album came out in 93 which was really bad market timing. a lot of people see him only as an Yngwie clone etc. great player and teacher though!

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Joe_Stump/5102

1 Like

Can’t leave out Gus G and Michael Romeo, 2 of the best modern players and both very aggressive

2 Likes

Gus G reminds me of a guy I can’t believe I didn’t think of earlier, since they’d toured together - Angel Vivaldi definitely deserves a nod as far as aggressive, extremely technically accomplished modern players go:

2 Likes

I love Gus G. Saw him last year at a local club, he was incredible. Amazing chops, but also a ballsy, aggressive style.

2 Likes

Can’t forget dimebag, he’s regarded as one of the only players to emerge in the 90s.

Is this true? I just started reading the riffer madness book.

Such a shame the way he died.

2 Likes

No. Pantera started in the 80s with Darrell Abbott and Vinnie Abbott, toured, released albums etc.

Also, come to think of it, he’s not known as a virtuoso, exactly, but I’ve always really dug Billy Corgan’s playing. One of the best mainstream 90s guitarists, anyway, and his lead breaks on stuff like “Rhinoceros” and “Cherub Rock” are pretty damned cool, too.

3 Likes

Pantera released albums in the 80s but didn’t come to mainstream public attention until the release of Cowboys from Hell in 1990. Many casual fans, myself included, had no idea about their previous four albums and thought CFH was their first release. The 80s material was more in the glam-metal style, and much less distinct. With that in mind, it makes sense that Dimebag for all general intents and purposes would be thought of as a “90s” player.

1 Like

The statement however, was regarding when he “emerged.” Having already gotten your chops together, having created a distinctive lead style, releasing multiple albums, getting airplay, and playing hundreds of shows within a large geographic area - one with a radius of hundreds of miles are a good indicator that a player has “emerged.”

If you asked me when did he become a big rock star I’d say the answer is 1990 - when Cowboys From Hell was released. It was their fifth album and their second album with Phil Anselmo. Adding Anselmo to the band was the key in transcending from an independent label heavy metal band with a cult following to becoming a major label metal band with a worldwide following. They needed Anselmo to make that progression and Anselmo needed them every bit as much. Neither the Abbott brothers without Anselmo nor Anselmo without the Abbott brothers ever had big time success. That being said, as far as his guitar skills were concerned, it was evident in the four albums Pantera released in the 80s that Darrell Abbott had emerged as a force to be reckoned with.

Pantera never sounded like glam metal band to me - they sounded lot more like Judas Priest than Ratt. Some people go mainly by appearances and figure if the band used hairspray, they must have been a glam band. These are people who generally speaking are either very casual fans making a mistake the equivalent of judging a book by its cover, and/or they weren’t old enough or interested enough yet to be supporting the 1980s hard rock/heavy metal scene in their area. For those who were still young children back in 1984, I wouldn’t expect them to know that hairspray was ubiquitous among heavy metal musicians then and even more in the late 80s. Hell, Ozzy used it! It was the 1980s and that was just the style of the time.

This is the first song of theirs I heard on the radio - a song titled “Heavy Metal Rules” from their second album named “Projects In The Jungle” and released in 1984 - quite a ways off from the 90s, huh?

Decide for yourselves if it sounds more like Priest or Bon Jovi

1 Like

Let’s clarify our terms, as we’re getting into semantics here. What I meant in my statement was indeed that Dimebag and Pantera “emerged” into the national scene and became know to the general public with the CFH release. Yes, they had releases prior to that and were known in Texas. But as someone who was playing in the metal scene in New York in the late 80s, I absolutely never heard of Pantera or Dimebag until CFH. Were local bands in my area covering their songs? No. Were people trading their cassettes in the local scene? No. Were DD interviews and transcriptions showing up in the major guitar magazines of the era before CFH? No. I’ll stand by the idea that DD is generally known and remembered for the work he did in the 90s with Pantera. That doesn’t mean he didn’t have chops, releases or a style before that, but as far as the mainstream metal consumer goes, Pantera didn’t really exist until 1990 and that was my point. There were plenty of great players and bands who had their own styles, released albums, and had a devoted local following that many of us have never heard of. These players were not generally known outside of their local area, and thus had not emerged or come to the attention of the national market. They were still finding their sound and look, it’s all good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amq9It9dRjs

Closer to Priest or BonJovi/Ratt/Motley Crue? You decide. Still great guitar playing, just different stylings.