Most efficient strumming movements in regard to the clock?

I was just wondering what the efficient motions should be for down and up strumming regards to the clock. For cross picking I know it’s 902 for supination, and 1003 for pronated. Was a bit confused if I should be making these same motions when strumming or more 9 to 0 and 10 to 3 motions are more appropriate in general?

1 Like

I also had a couple of questions on the clock. Is using only one half of the clock bad. For example the 2 scenarios below:

1. Keeping in the upper horizontal line half. Wrist deviation from 2 to 10. Is this as bad as string hopping as extension muscle constantly in tension.

2. Only in one vertical line half. I feel that I pick only from the 0 position to the 9 position. Therefore I feel I move to the 9 for 1wps when Troy says most people have a bigger travel range in the 0 to 3 direction. I feel 0 to 3 less natural than 0 to 9.

Sorry I didn’t answer your question but added more :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Just following up here. Anybody know the answer to this? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The clockface concept is a way to understand wrist movement. But strumming the way someone like Andy Wood does it also involves forearm movement, elbow movement, and maybe even some shoulder movement. If you want to try and figure out what Andy’s wrist is doing when he strums, you can certainly use the clock idea to do that. But that’s it. For all the other parts of Andy’s strumming motion, you’ll just have to watch what he’s doing!