Musician's stool recommendations - and how to sit on it with a guitar?

Hey all!

In order to film some lessons (hint hint) I need to buy a musician’s stool* that is comfortable, height-adjustable and can easily swivel.

Any recommendations at a medium price range?

Many thanks :slight_smile:

*=Not this type: :poop: :poop: :poop:

5 Likes

If you have a decent spending fund, get a commercial bar stool that’s been upholstered properly with at least a 4 inch thick seat, preferably 5-6. There’s probably nothing better. The ones you can buy for “guitarists” are dubious quality at best.

4 Likes

This is a good brand,

1 Like

I bought an old machinists stool from ebay that has a big worm gear height adjustment and had it reupholstered.

1 Like

So I finally got a Konig & Meyer drum throne. Build quality & all is great but… wait for it…

I don’t know how to sit on it properly with a guitar! Even at the lowest setting my knees are bent more than 90 degrees (i.e. legs are slightly extended), and that is super uncomfortable, I keep lifting the heel of my foot all the time and my bum cramps up and my back kills me.

So… please teach me how to sit :smiley:

Will attach pic later

1 Like

So you’re saying even at the shortest range of the height adjustment, the stool is still taller than what you want?

If the throne is this one:

The specs say minimum height on that throne is 500mm, which I think is higher than a typical chair. I’m a hair under 5’11 (about 180cm) with average proportions, and for me, a comfortable chair height is around 18 or 19 inches (about 457mm to 483mm). Stacking or folding chairs are often even a little shorter than that to accomodate a wide range of ages and adult heights.

I don’t know enough about drums to know if drummers specifically want a little extra height for some reason, or if the throne above is an anomaly.

Another potential confounding factor in buying something like this from specifications without a diagram is you can’t be sure whether they are measuring to the top of the upholstery or the bottom of the upholstery (which, depending on firmness, might compress by over 5cm or might compress barely at all).

1 Like

Depending on what your sitting position is, I’d consider a footrest for your left foot (if right handed playing).

1 Like

If you’re after a foot rest, I got one of these from Amazon last year and it’s good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/K-M-14670-014-55-14670-014-55/dp/B00PBWXVLW/

1 Like

God I feel this problem SO hard. Every time I sit down to play on the couch, if I want my acoustic in the classical position, I’ve got to heel up and… yeah definitely no bueno.

So I’ve ended up just swapping to the ‘campfire’ position, which is fine but …

Also it doesn’t help that I generally play on dreadnoughts so it’s like putting something the size of a washing machine in your lap :smiley:

1 Like