My one year progress

I’ve deleted this post as it’s no longer relevant.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for sharing! Cool to see detail on how you’ve developed some mechanics that seem to be working well for you. What of our stuff have you watched / found most helpful? Not sure what all you’ve come across so far but we have lots of great crosspicking discussion on the forum; you may find our two workshops on crosspicking motion worth checking out as well if you haven’t seen those. Any other questions or things we might be able to point you to or give feedback on, just let us know!

I’ve not watched anything yet beyond most of the videos on Guitar World and a few of your YouTube videos, although I’ve read most of the blog postings here in the last few months.

I’m getting my gear in order at the moment, having just got over the fear of my own amplifier.

I will watch what I can on the site shortly and see if I can improve what I’m doing.

Keep up the good work.

Cool post, lots to be learned from your perspective - thanks for sharing!

Ah, my initial post hauled out of the archives!

I’ll say a little more about my progress with my forearm rotation.

First, I’ve had my variety pack of eight different sizes of Dunlop flow picks for about a month and they’re all great. Yesterday I used the 0.88mm and the 2.00mm regular size on my electric guitar, and the 3.00mm is very good for acoustic single note runs. I have a cheap practice amp which I use on the principle that if I can get a good sound out of that, I am getting things right!

Second, it took me a long time to be able to get control of starting runs on a down stroke especially on the heavier strings with my forearm rotation technique, but now that I can, for certain runs, if I want to, I can be very fast. In fact, there was a point where I could play slowly and I could play fast runs starting on an upstroke, but I had pretty much no speeds in between. So I spent time on my wrist technique, which is reasonable now for cross picking and certain quick runs, but as I did that I seem to have added ways of controlling lower speeds while using my the forearm position, with finger movement and/or wrist movement.

I think from what I’ve learnt I’d say try as much as you can rather than go after a single technique, because one thing seems to help the others.