My poor attempt at tremolo picking

So I’ll include slo-mo next time but this is slow enough I’m sure you can see what I’m doing. So I’ve done the primer. And I think I’m wrist/forearm USX but not 100% sure. Open to any suggestions and I promise I’ll do slow mo and try to get better quality next time. I got nervous and started butchering running scales that I normal have no issues with but fissured I would go ahead and throw this out there. Anyone have any idea BMP estimated? Also sorry my amp isn’t at the house at the moment

Yes, it does look like an attempt at forearm/wrist, and it does look somewhat like that at first but about halfway through your arm starts moving and you’re in elbow territory.

If this is as fast as you can go, I’d say you need to find another motion! Keep experimenting. (Perhaps elbow would be another thing to try!)

1 Like

Yes unfortunately that’s about as fast as it gets for me at The moment. I will give the elbow motion portion a rewatch and try that. Just anything doesn’t feel smooth and my pick doesn’t seem to move freely and definitely feel resistance. I will keep trying different mowvements

My USX isn’t far off yours, very awkward and jerky feeling. Try the DSX motion where your hand is more above the string. It worked for me , feels a lot more natural and flowing.

Good uck

Hey @Kane21014 ! I think I see something that I mentioned in someone else’s video; it looks like the beefy portion at the base of your thumb is somewhat floating / not touching the strings. Apparently I’m mostly a wrist picker, and I feel like I actively squash the strings / edge of bridge pickup when picking.

As a similar experiment recommendation to the other thread, attempt to palm mute the same attempt and see if the added stability is a benefit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I will try them all and get back with my progress.

1 Like

I actually think this fast enough to start putting some musical phrases together (sounds faster than is possible with stringhopping). You seem to have a sometimes-rotation that gets USX and sometimes-elbow that gets DSX…just being aware of this will help you troubleshoot musical phrases that you feel are not getting cleaner with time.

@Thegent
Thanks, i’m going to keep trying to tweak it. I’ve only recently started playing again from a break where i played Bass. I’m definitely getting faster. And have actually seen good progress running 3NPS. And when i start with an Upstroke descending i seem to be getting better. I’m stuggling more on getting speed particularly descending 2NPS Pentatonic scale and licks that are 1 or 2 notes per string.

That makes sense - 2nps pentatonics came 3-4 months after I started to get a 3 nps going. I think…that’s pretty typical in terms of order of operations.

I’m happy to announce that DXS has completely revolutionized my picking. Will post a video soon. It’s truly incredible! Like in the past I felt stuck on the strings but by laying my flat (opposite of probated) it literally feels like I’m gliding on the strings in comparison. Thank everyone so much. I was so he’ll bent on think I was only a downward pick slanter that I neglected realizing how much better DXS can be for me! I’m so excited and finally feel like playing fast things is in my future and realized how out of touch my reality was because i trio thought I just wasn’t capable and that’s not the case

2 Likes

Mine was the same. After watching the Yngwie and EJ seminars I sort of assumed that it had to be USX. It was only after watching the Andy Wood interview that I had a breakthrough and realised that my DXS was much smoother and more natural.
It has opened up a whole new world of faster motions and more fluidity. Once my fretting hand has realised whats happening and catches up I should be alright :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like