Neal Schon’s trailing edge pick mechanics?

So much to check out in this short Neal Schon interview by Jude Gold with Guitar Player…

Anybody spent CtC quality-time breaking down Schon’s approach? Very different style, and I’m wondering how much it contributes to his awesomely “shreddy” tone.

And a side note, interesting that his little bend following his Don’t Stop Believing demonstration sounds very Yngwie’esque to my ears.

I probably should use the forum search feature before posting anew. I promise to next time. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance! Kindly, Daniel

2 Likes

So the point of interest is 45 secs or so in, but the rhythm playing leading up to it is informative as well, the camera moving up to catch the person’s legs in the background not withstanding. I think the trailing edge picking throws me off… Anybody have better/longer close up footage to share? Thanks.

Hey, didn’t this player feature in one of the original CTC episodes?

In any case he seems to have an approach similar to George Benson!

1 Like

Haha! As I think about it, I do recall some animation. :slight_smile: Journey Escape was one of the records that I wore out in my formative years. They’re (Journey) still great today, but it’s that era that I still hear in my minds ear. Pre-loudness war, on vinyl. The era of “album rock.”

Will look for it, and compare with what we understand about Benson’s playing. Thanks.

1 Like

He was mentioned in the episode with Hear 'n Aid.

2 Likes

Fwiw, that train riff in Don’t Stop Believing transitions from 120bpm sixteenths to 120bpm sextuplets going into the “scream.” These days I find my left hand fingers move more slowly than my right, and playing it from a standstill boils down to all of the issues one might face related to two note per string playing.