Hello there! Been playing guitar for about 20 years and my picking technique never felt very stable/ reliable. After watching the Primer about 2 years ago and experimenting w/ tremollo/chuncking/etc, I ended up developing this pronated/ slightly extended form that grants me the ability to pick fast at any time, even when I’m not warmed up. It’s a DSX/ Upward-pickslanting type of motion, and on my best days I’ve been able to play 210 bpm 16th notes with it (although I’m not nearly as fast on today’s recording). It fells really different from the way I pick when playing slowly.
Now, because this form doesn’t allow me to play palm muted notes, and my band’s repertoir includes some thrash metal/hardcore rythm playing to it, I’ve been trying to either adapt this form to make palm muting possible or learn a second motion like, for instance, USX forearm-wrist motion. On the past 2 years there have been a few times when I thought I reached those goals, but the new motions would never stick to long term memory, and I kept going back to a place where even 100 bpm would feel difficult.
Any insights on what to do would help me a lot!
Also, I’d love to have a better undertanding of my current fast technique - is it DT, RDT, is it pure deviation? I feel that I can insert some elbow or even forearm/rotation movement to it, as long as I keep the base of my thumb glued do the strings or the body of the guitar (when playing low E)
Here goes the video.
Maybe later I’ll try to upload some footage of my attempts to perform other techniques as well
Thank you all for the attention.