Neural DSP - is it really worth it?

Started our as a sceptic, turning into fanboy now.
Gotta say, Nameless plays nice with Granophyre:

Though there is some quackiness, and my playin was not my tightes ever.
But I gotta say, I slapped random presets, put rudimentary eq on bus and called it a day. I have never, ever achieved such massive tones before, with any plugins. If not for the playing this could be studio ready.

Ok, maybe I went too far with the last one, but not by much.

1 Like

Some more background here:
https://neuraldsp.com/news/project-zen

1 Like

Another sample (sloppy playing, probably should not quad track this one, but whatever). Granophyre on rythm and Nameless on lead tracks:

Both have a metric ton of mids, they just express it differently - while it can be warm and very interesting when it wants to Granophyre can easily get muddy and quacky as well. The cab makes it somewhat fuzzy, but not “nails on a blackboard” kind of fuzzy. Nameless on the other hand is exactly what it is advertised as - precisely brutal AF. Easy to make it too glassy, but contrary to popular belief it is actually very versatile. While one should not expect it to do immaculate clean tones, it’s cleans actually are not bad. And it’s quite usable in all settings, it’s really hard to mess it up - even gain all the way up is fine if you need it. It can cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter. Loads of different tones too, and not just based on amount of gain.
I only wish they offered more in terms of cab speakers, like in Granophyre. Some reverb and delay would be a nice touch too. I don’t care about graphic EQ, I use external plugin anyways.

All in all, I don’t think I could have chosen better than the Nameless at the moment.
If I have some money to spare in the future I guess I could get Granophyre as well, since I like the tones I am getting, it’s just pointless at the moment as AA Sigma is so similar, apart from the cab section.

I’d also like something like a Mesa and maybe 5150 in the future - not that I am a fan of 5150 because I am not, it’d just be cool to have some more variety at my disposal.

Back to the sample - I stand by what I said previously, I have never before managed to sound so heavy, and so (semi) professional.
Also it’s so easy, I mean come on, I just laid some tracks, loaded couple of presets, and bam! Instant recording. It’s better quality than my previous mixes that I spent countless hours trying to fix and bring to life.
I could turn this into a decent cover in one evening, if only I was able to play the solo XD.

Nice work. Note a couple of the Dugout presets use custom IRs, and Cali has some too. If you’re on Windows they’re probably in C:\ProgramData\Neural DSP\Impulse Responses.

I’d previously dismissed them, but I think you’re right in that Nameless and Granophyre are the most gnarly and alive sounding.

Wait a few months and there’ll probably be something else to choose from!

Hi, is there some kind of trick if you want to mix Amps and effects? So say you want the overdrive pedal, reverb pedal and amp from different packs? I tried all the packs and it really frustrated me how some packs don’t even have reverb or an overdrive pedal?

Try running several plugins in line, one after the other, and disengage what you don’t need, that is if you have couple of NDSP plugins and want to combine them.

Say you have the Nameless and Gojira, and want to use Nameless head and cab with Gojira’s reverb.
I would try it as follows:
Nameless - disengage the cab section -> Gojira - disengage everything apart from reverb -> Nameless again, disengage everything apart from the cab.

If that does not work then I guess you’ll have to use 3rd party reverb, like the one built in in Repaer.
It would be fantastic if NDSP allowed you to basically consolidate all your plugins into one suite, but I guess it would not be the best business approach for them, as it may impact Quad Cortex’s sales.