New amp day: Mesa Mark V

I’ve been playing through a Mesa Roadster for something like eight or nine years now, and it’s an awesome sounding amp… But, I’ve always thought the Mesa Mark IV was hands down the best lead guitar sound I’ve ever heard. I never really could justify a second amp, though, and when the Mark V initially came out, I was a little off-put by the fact that all the distorted modes I’d actally use - IIC+, IV, and Extreme - were all on the same channel, so I’d basically have a clean channel and a gain channel, and I couldn’t dial in separate footswitchable lead and rhythm sounds.

Fast forward five years or so, though, and it starts to occur to me that not only am I not gigging these days, but back when I was all I ever really did was use one clean and one gain sound and just use the solo boost and FX loop switch when it came time to take a solo, so I was being a little bit of a prima donna by wanting two gain sounds on tap. And I’ve had a pretty abysmal tart to 2018 - my grandfather died, broke up with my girlfriend, had shoulder surgery, and work’s been a mess lately - so late one night as I was getting ready to leave work, I spotted this on Humbucker Music in the exact options I’d have custom ordered one, and, well…

Quick video clip, the video is a little grainy due to bad lighting but the audio signal chain was pristine, at least. Not too much CtC-inspired picking here, when in doubt I still just fall back on legato, but damn, I like how this thing sounds.

Still getting to know it a little, but man… what a killer sounding amp. Apologies for the slop there, this was entirely off the cuff, lol.

5 Likes

Sounds good man, I like it. I’ve never had a chance to play through many mk amps. It’s hard to find them anywhere to check out. I used to jam on the Subway Rocket combos, they are flamethrowers.

:bear:

1 Like

Nice! I had a mark V for a while. I went through a bunch of amps, now I’m on an axe fx and what I’ve learned is… It was my speakers all along that I didn’t like. I never payed with different speakers and it’s just as important as amp choice. Ahhh, if only I could take that knowledge, and pick slanting back 20 years.

2 Likes

My first Mesa, and second ever tube amp, was a Rocket-44, which definitely has a Mark-style preamp. Awesome amps.

Yeah, the Mark IV lead sound is one of those things I’ve admired from afar for, well, most of my playing career, ever since I first played one, so while I got my Roadster surprisingly close, this is definitely closer to the tone in my head. It’s a little surreal to plug into this and hear it, after all these years.

3 Likes

Yeah, man. The Subway Rocket is awesome… There was a Subway Blues that is all clean. Gotta make sure you don’t buy a Blues version. lol.

:bear:

Even that would probably be a pretty sweet amp, lol.

1 Like

Jealous as f**k…

Thanks man! It’s an awesome, awesome sounding amp, and kind of obscenely flexible.

Congrats!! That sounded killer!!

Thanks - I’ve always loved the Mark V sound, and while I was able to get pretty close with my Mesa Roadster (and got a kick out of using a Recto for sounds the Recto wasn’t usually associated with…) I’m just way happier with how this thing sounds. It’s basically the exact tone I’ve been chasing, in a (pretty looking) box.

1 Like