New from Texas - Frustrated picker

Hi everybody, I’m a long-time rock/blues guitar player that started when I was 11 years old and I’m 68 now.

I can do a lot of regular lead playing and hybrid pick, but the “flurries” of fast notes is my downfall. I am afflicted with the “string hopping” syndrome. I’ve taken lots of lessons over the years with instructors and bought countless videos and courses but never can figure out how to play really fast stuff. I guess that’s possibly because my one-on-one sessions with instructors have always been focused on improvising and not fast picking. I’ve been in bands most of my life and really love everything about guitar playing.

I joined Cracking the Code yesterday and am working my way through the Pick Slanting Primer. I’m seeing techniques that I didn’t know about and it has kind of messed me up a little. I want to progress fast but know it will take time and practice.

I can play a variety of scales at around 100-120 BPM, but I’m string hopping. I’ve always used the 351 style picks, mainly the orange Dunlop Tortex, 0.6 mm but I’ve got some Dunlop Gator, 0.96 mm (Purple) that I’m starting to use.

After all these years, I can’t believe that I can’t pick like I’d want to. I feel like giving up but Cracking the Code is my last hope to finally get out of the hole I’m in. I’m willing to put in the work!

Thanks,
Bob

3 Likes

Welcome Bob!

Hope we’ll be able to ease your frustrations :slight_smile:

I think a good starting point may be for you to have a look at our newest section:

Let us know what you think!

1 Like

Hey tommo, thanks for the link. I’d already checked it out but went back to make sure. On the wrist flexion-extension, I can hit 170 BPM without too much trouble, but 190 is more difficult. 210 is almost impossible for me. Elbow motion is much easier and I can hit 190 (but not higher). Forearm motion is hopeless. I can’t do much more that 130 and not for very long. I’m still watching all the lessons and really hoping I can eliminate my string-hopping problem.