New guy here 24 years of sucking

Hello everyone. I’m new. Been playing for 24 years and I’m realizing I actually suck very badly at guitar. I found the cracking the code series through the Brendan small interview, huge metalocalypse fan. and it’s almost literally me. Same music genre fan. I always figured some people are just guitar gods and I won’t ever play like that. I’ve always considered myself a rhythm player, I can play rhythm fine, long fast chugs from Metallica or megadeth, not slayer speeds and duration though. I took lessons for the first 5 years I played. I retained basically none of that info. Scales bore me to all hell. I would rather quit than practice. But now that I’m 36 I have a bit more patience and the scales have tipped for hating sucking more than hating practice. So now I’m basically going to start at the beginning and try to learn to shred leads. I’m a string hopper if I can even get more than 8 notes in a row of a lick anyway. So I guess if anyone has any info of where a brand new player should start or if I’m the 200th person here with the same story where should I go? Yes I watched the pickslanting primer. It all makes sense to me, getting it in my hands is another story. I just really need easy licks to practice (not the Paul Gilbert lick please)

2 Likes

I think we’ve all been there! :grin:
One way of using the combined nerdpower on this forum would be to record a video of you playing single string tremolo as fast as you can. Then post this in a technique critique thread, and find out if your fast picking motion is DSX, USX or even DBX, and then try and learn the stuff that matches your fast picking the best.

EDIT:
As far as boring scales go, you can play tons of other stuff with either of the one-way escapes. Especially 7th chord arpeggios work great with 2nps fingerings, which makes them compatible with both DSX and or USX (Formerly known as Upward- and Downwardpickslant)

3 Likes