New here and happy to be part of your community!

Hi everyone! I wanted to make this my first stop before going down the rabbit hole of overwhelmingness lol! My name is Jeremy and I am 46 years old. I am married and have 3 kids. I have worked in telecommunications basically my entire adult life. I am really excited to be here. And especially excited for the opportunity for some real improvement in my playing and understanding of the instrument I love to spend what little extra time I have playing. Looking forward to the possible rewards on the time invested!

Where are you in your guitar journey?

• How many years have you been playing? I have played for about 10 years
  • What musical genres are you interested in? Rock and metal but open to all
  • Particular things you’re excited to learn / talk about here? Mainly wanting to break the box I’m stuck in just noodling and playing the same songs I have known forever with no real improvement in years.

How have you gone about learning guitar so far?

• Self-taught? Regular lessons with a teacher? Both? All self taught
  • Have you spent much time on technique before finding our stuff? Not much at all
  • What Cracking the Code material have you watched? I watched the cracking the code series so far
  • Can you comfortably play a scale? At roughly what speed? I know the minor pentatonic in first position but that’s really about it so far. Nothing with much speed or accuracy. Up to this point my learning has been parts of songs. I can comfortably learn from tab but haven’t invested much in the way of theory or scales up to this point. But I am ready to take that step and am very excited to be here.
  • Any particular things you find yourself stuck on? Everything lol. Honestly right now my playing is where it has been stuck for a long time due to not having a specific learning plan.
1 Like

Welcome to the forum!
If you want to learn some music theory I would suggest you to start from learning scales, and most importantly how they relate to music. I remember that it was difficult for me to understand them for quite a while but once you do most things go downhill from there :slight_smile:
I personally would start from here:

It was a great introduction into music theory for me. Maybe except sheet music and key signatures ( you don’t really need those as a guitarist)
As you learn more I really recommend this channel:

His videos usually present a single concept using music theory that you can quickly pick up on and create something interesting yourself.
Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I appreciate the guidance!

1 Like