New here to the site

Hi. My name is Dennis and I’ve been playing longer than my playing would indicate, let’s put it that way. I saw one of Troy’s videos and finally, I got tired of the same warm ups and never getting past a certain speed. I’m sure this is a common story here. Anyhow, so I joined hoping to find guidance to how to practice and I’m not sure how to navigate the site for this. Help? I went through the primer and I don’t really know what picking style I have… I actually have a “natural” upstroke escape (am I using that right?) but that’s part of the problem. So I played around with the downstroke escape and actually… that feels pretty good. It’s totally uncontrolled but before I write an entire book here, let’s say I want to adopt that to speed up my playing. Where would I go to get exercises and tutorials to focus on how to “control” that movement?

Thanks!

So the term really just describes whether or not you are escaping the plane of the strings on a downstroke versus an upstroke. There are many different movements and joints that will enable that, so it’s not really useful to describe downward escape as a movement in itself that you want to develop. Honestly what I would do is film yourself doing what you are describing you want to develop, and post it here because that would help other s see what you are doing as a whole and maybe offer some more personalized advice in how to optimize it.

Look for lines (or come up with your own) that force DSX if that’s what you want to develop.