New hybrid-picked tremolo etude - Tommo's entry for the Mercuriall and Paul Santo contest

Hey All,

This is my first ever entry in an online music contest! The challenge was to write a 40-second soundtrack to the picture shown at the end of the video. I took the opportunity to write another tremolo etude to demonstrate my hybrid approach to the classical tremolo:

EDIT: re-uploaded with correct audio-video syncing.

EDIT2: and here are some tabs :slight_smile:

The picking pattern is

Down, mid finger pluck, Down, Up.

It is important to maintain a ā€œDWPS/escaped upstrokesā€ setup throughout.

I did many takes and then had a crazy idea: what if I could find two takes that went well together for stereo double tracking? This was very unlikely since I recorded the tune without a metronome, but after a lot of auditioning I found three takes that I think work pretty well: to my ears, the slight phase issues are not too disturbing and add a sort of eerie atmosphere. But of course your experience may differ :slight_smile:

Hope you like it and will be back soon with a post on the signal chain (everything is done with amp sims and VSTs) - I had to do quite a lot work to get a tone in the ballpark of a classical guitar!

Edit: this is a short tutorial I made a while ago about the technique:

19 Likes

Hey, thatā€™s awesome - really, really great example of a piece where the technique serves the music and not the other way around, and your dynamic control here is pretty impressive!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Drew! I did get quite a bit of help from a compressor and an EQ :wink:

1 Like

Maybe so, but even the way youā€™re maintaining a fairly gentle tremolo picking while bringing out melodic lines with a bit more force, is very tasteful, and thatā€™s definitely not just a compressor or EQ!

1 Like

Hey, sorry for the delayed response! Replying here to avoid diverting the other thread. If I remember correctly I had the middle finger nail fairly short for this one, but a tiny bit of the nail would probably still contact the string at the end of the pluck. I tried using longer nails as well but found that they would get continuously chipped by the unwound strings - super annoying!

Thereā€™s a few ā€œcheatsā€ that go into this tone, as you can see from the discussion above :wink:

One element is that I plucked the strings pretty hard with my middle finger, but a lot of the final effect is also due to the double tracking and the signal chain. In particular I was using very dark amp + cab settings, with a compressor in front, and I also had a pretty aggressive low-pass filter in the final EQ to try and kill the ā€œplink plinkā€ effect of steel strings.

I just realised I forgot to post the signal chain by the way! If it is of interest I can try and dig that up.

Hey @tommo thanks! Iā€™m very much a purist when it comes to the classical stuff, so no need to go hunting for the signal chain as Iā€™ll be doing this pretty raw if I give it a go :grin: Iā€™m thinking whether I try this hybrid or not, the approach having ā€œpā€ (or ā€œpickā€) involved with every other note could allow me to focus more on my ā€œaā€ finger. So, p a p a is what I may try, rather p m p m ā€“ I suspect my issue with classical tremolo is that I was not preparing the ā€œaā€ finger early enough. I could play the pieces, but it always felt difficult. Iā€™m learning if something feels difficult, it is because I am making it difficult haha. As in, not using the best/most efficient technique. I canā€™t wait till I get my magnet to see what Iā€™m actually doing on a classical tremolo.

Anyway, Iā€™m getting off track. Thanks again for sharing. Your playing sounds great and even got the attention of a classical snob (i.e. me) so excellent work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had/have the same issue! A very good classical player then gave me this advice: ā€œlook, the accent is on the a, not on the p!ā€. This seemed to help, at least psychologically.

Yeah agreed. That focus shift is probably helpful.

I had 2 very good classical teachers. The one was very ā€˜techniqueā€™ oriented the other was more expression and musicality. I learned the tremolo with the latter and I wish the it had been with the technique guy :slight_smile: The advice I got was of course to just play it slowly and work my way up haha. So much wasted time.

I think the amazing Pepe Romero has it solved, at least the issue with identifying not getting ā€˜aā€™ ready quick enough. His tremolo sounds amazing, of course, as does everything he plays

1 Like

TOMMO! You sly devil, thatā€™s fantastic and sounds amazing.

1 Like

@tommo well done sir! This must be tougher on electric.

Itā€™s not exactly the same thin that Iā€™m doing but Iā€™ve been using hybrid for arpegiated sequences like in malmsteenā€™s ecllipse. Late deployment had to be tackled with anticipation, the setup meant I had to keep the stance ready to deploy like a cat about to pounce :blush:

2 Likes

Ended up beefing up this song a little, and pushed the tremolo a bit faster. Hope youā€™ll like it!

11 Likes

I have no clue what is happening, but itā€™s beautiful! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

1:25 to the end is so awesome, great job man. Iā€™m really liking these tones youā€™re getting lately, clean and otherwise

1 Like

Down - Pluck - Down - Up :slight_smile:

I do the ā€œpluckā€ with the middle finger, but the ring can work as well!

Thank you :smiley: you can always count on Minor-major7 harmony to make things weird!

ā€¦and thanks again :slight_smile: I struggled for years to craft decent clean tones with amp simulators, and spent hundreds (or more realistically 1000+) on different plugins. Ironically, I ended up getting this tone almost exclusively with the free plugins included with Reaper DAW.

This is the basic signal chain - although in the end I swapped the delay with ReVerb (also free). The only non-free plugin is Ozone 9 Elements which I used on the master bus to fatten things up:

First EQ: remove a bit of bass and low mids from the DI
Ampsim: do the ampsim :slight_smile:
Second EQ: hi-lo cut (I think 80-ish Hz and 5-ish kHz) and a couple more low-mids and mids cuts
Chorus and reverb: for chorus and reverb!

3 Likes

Whoa, this is a beautifully haunting piece of music, really love the atmosphere. Great work! Will you be doing more in this style?

1 Like

Sounds really beautiful! And the technique itself is very impressive. As far as i know, even for classical guitar tremolo is not the easiest thing. I wonder, how far you will go with it. Look forward to hearing more!

1 Like

Thank you for listening :slight_smile: I usually come back to this style every few months, to get some rest from the more standard ā€œshreddyā€ practice. Iā€™m always looking for interesting chord progressions and melodies to be played like this - so hopefully Iā€™ll be making more!

For now, we put the tabs to one on my old pieces (intro section) on the platform. With more proper filming gear - hope youā€™ll like it:

Than you @I_VI_ii_V ! I may try to do a I-VI-ii-V with it and see what comes out :smiley:

PS: we also did an instagram post on this, with some slomo on the picking hand - maybe some of you will find this interesting!

Donā€™t forget to like, subscribe, and sign up for Masters in Mechanics :rofl:

5 Likes

Loving these pieces man great job! Can really feel the tension at times, then the resolve, over some of the chords. I could listen to stuff like this all day, just guitar, no other instruments needed haha.

Iā€™m going to make an attempt at learning it. It will be a challenge and a half to get the dynamics sounding right!

1 Like

Looking forward to your version. Remember to choose a tone that is forgiving enough for this style - compressors allowed :wink: donā€™t fight a uphill battle. :slight_smile:

ā€¦and I just tabbed the other one, if you are interested:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I gave it a go on acoustic firstā€¦ it did not go well :sweat_smile: Iā€™ll take your advice and use a bit of compression on the electric for my next attempt. I think itā€™s going to be a loooong while before hearing my version! :joy:
But this is great stuff and thanks for the tabs! Iā€™m looking forward to getting into this technique, Iā€™ve always loved the fingerstyle tremolo but have been reluctant to get into learning classical fingerstyle. Iā€™ve got enough plectrum problems to deal with first! Having said that, If i could nail what you are doing here with the pick, Iā€™d be pretty damn happy with that!