New insights and a late hello from Sweden

Hi y’all, been a member to and fro for about 4-5 yrs now. Just re-watched the videos from start and realised that I wasn’t paying attention to my arms pronation/supination in a lot of passages. For instance, when playing ascending 3nps I did the swiping but my arm was in pronation mode. As you know swiping ascending 3nps doesn’t really work smoothly with pronation which renders a UWPS. Read a lot of threads with clever advice from @Troy about trying different motions… And, a lot of things fell into place, as he use to say: knowing is half the battle won. I often unconsciously rotated to pronation when arm was supposed to be in supination for the lick to work. A simple solution for a complicated thing to play… Love this CtCthing…

3 Likes

Hey, welcome to the forum! Glad to hear doing some more motion experimentation and thinking more about orientation was helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Johan! Thanks for the field notes. The whole “pronated” and “supinated” thing turns out to be tricky. We used to say “uwps” only worked while pronated, and that turns out to be completely false. I myself have pretty much never used a pronated orientation for what we call “upward pickslanting”, and all the examples we have filmed of both “upward pickslanting” and “two way pickslanting” show this clearly. I just never really noticed before, and never fully understood what was going on.

If you’re interested in the latest of what we know on this subjects, our recent broadcast on crosspicking technique gets it “more right” than we have in the past. You can find that here:

https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/crosspicking-with-the-wrist/

3 Likes

Hi @Troy, could you post a video when you play a scale descending with sweeping , so we can see if your forearm stays supinated. I think It would help.