New(ish) Guy from Troy MI

Hello,

Long time player here. Decades. I’m a perhaps average or slightly better comparing myself to guitar players I run into. I was in a gigging bad for a few years before the pandemic. I’m into blues, classic rock through grunge. Enjoy hard-rock, but not so much metal with a couple of exceptions.

Pretty much self taught, but took a lesson here and there in person then more recenly online lessons which I spent a lot of money on with the goal of improving my speed which turned out to be a big waste of time and money other than discovering I was string hopping. Lots of books too including books on technique, which I’ve also worked pretty hard and with very marginal success. So that’s why I’m here.

I’ve watched most of the Primer videos, took the tests and scored ok (200 bpm or less) but I can’t seem to translate similar test result speeds to my guitar. I’ve worked a bit on tremelo, but still feel like I’m not getting anywhere. Only once did I feel like I had a “breakthough moment” when I tremelo picked poorly but fast using a motion very similar to Eddie Van Halen’s type of tremelo but I’m having a hard time reproducting it. I’m stuck at 110 bpm 16ths on a good day.

I feel like I’m stuck and don’t know what to do next to make progress. I’m not sure making a video of myself at this point is going to help. I’ve love some help and/or advice.

–Chuck

Hi and welcome!

You’ve got to try to catch that lightening! Don’t even waste your time with motions that won’t even go past 110 bpm. That’s a clear indicator the motion isn’t efficient. No amount of practicing those same motions is going to make them speed up. It’s hard to think this way, especially those of us who have been playing for decades and have heard countless amazing players advocate to start slowly and then speed up gradually (spoiler alert: it works for them because they already know the correct motion(s) and theirs adapt accordingly at the higher tempos)

Making a video is actually the only way to make progress. If we can’t see the specific things you are doing that need correcting, we can’t offer any good advice. Since there are a pretty large number of motions that are “correct” (usually with implications), the advice we’d offer someone struggling with a forearm rotational technique would be drastically different that what we’d tell someone with an elbow based motion.

I totally understand if you’re not comfortable posting a video for all to see. Not saying that’s the case with you or anything. BUT, if it is, then a) please don’t feel that way, we’re a nice community :slight_smile: We all want to help people get better and there are all sorts of starting levels; b) there’s a feature that you have access to as a paid member where you can submit a technique critique directly on the platform and set its visibility so that only you and instructors can see it.

That feature is available at the link https://troygrady.com/dashboard/tc/ assuming you’re logged in on the “main” site

Instructions are here:

The great thing about that is you get guaranteed by feedback from Troy or Tommo. They’re both highly skilled at these critiques. That’s not to say you wouldn’t also get good feedback if you posted a new thread in the forum for a technique critique that was public. But you could also get advice from well meaning (though often wrong lol) people, like me :slight_smile: Usually when that happens Troy/Tommo are kind enough to jump in and say what’s really going on.

Anyway, the keys to success are right in front of you. The first step is going to be filming yourself showing us what you’re trying to do.

Don’t get stuck! Any attempt at a motion that won’t go fast is a waste of time. Best of luck, and welcome again!

3 Likes

I appreciate the encouraging words and advice. I’ll try to make a video for crituque as you suggested.

1 Like

So I finally did it. I created a TC (Technique Critique) request. I’m assuming that other than creating the videos, uploading them into my video library and then submitting the TC request that now I just wait for feedback. No other steps. Please le me know if I’m wrong or missing a step.

1 Like

Sounds correct to me. Good luck!

1 Like

Yep I see it in the queue for review :blush:

Thanks all. I appreciate the confirmation.

1 Like

Welcome @cmedcoff look forward to seeing you progress there’s some great players on here with a wealth of experience.