New to Masters in Mechanics - recommendations please!

Hi,

I have had the primer for a while but just signed up for masters in mechanics. I am very much a mainstream jazz guy (archtop or semi-hollow, heavier gauge flatwounds, clean sounds only, wes, joe pass, etc., etc.). I don’t have a magnet, but I can tell from my wife helping me record a bit that I am more naturally a downward pickslanting, upstroke escape guy. I love Pat Martino. He is mostly a cross picker, is that right? Now I know why those lines are hard for me. There is so much info on this site. Where do I start? If I wanted to experiment with cross picking which has a double escape motion (correct?), where do I begin? Which resources on this site should I look at?

Thanks!

Rick

Troy recommends going through the pickslanting primer in order. You mentioned you’ve had the primer for awhile. Did you go through the whole thing?

The most recent double escape explanation is here:

The other things you can take advantage of is the great interviews. Crosspicking is covered pretty heavily in the Andy Wood acoustic interview (and the electric interviews). Those are a little bit more bluegrass in context but still a good overview of the technique.

The other huge advantage you have with your full membership is doing a technique critique on the platform and you’ll get guaranteed feedback from Troy or Tommo.

Not sure if that link gets re written on the forum or not. If you are logged on on the main site you can access that feature by visiting

/dashboard/tc

I was just about to very end of the primer but went back to the wrist section when those updates were made. So, not quite, but I am just about done with everything now (all but the last couple of sections and the technical reference). I will see about posting a technique critique soon. Thanks!

1 Like