New Transcription Channel - Extreme - Rise - Nuno Solo - Complete Transcription

12 Likes

Always amazed by other people’s transcription chops.
Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Amazing work! Subscribed.

2 Likes

I’m floored!
Only thing about the arpeggio section (the reason I hopped on the forum, I wanted to ask a question about the technique used), I see you wrote it as mostly legato with some up/dn strokes on adjacent strings. I wanted to ask if anybody is hearing some sort of “swiping” in some portions of the lick, sorta like what Gilbert does on his famous lick, as explained/shown by Troy. I seem to hear - when slowed down - some “double strokes” tipical of the pick just ploughing through strings and hitting a “false” note in doing that. Most of the time, as in Gilbert’case, this “swipe” actually adds to the superchoppy character of the picked notes.
Can anybody relate?
At any rate, thanks for the stellar job!

1 Like

If you watch the video you can see Nuno is picking up and down but not every note and palm muting everything. I’ve followed Nuno’s career since the first Extreme album, a huge misconception is the he’s alternate picking everything, something he rarely does. The muted notes provide a percussive effect which mimics an alternate picked everything sound.
The outside picking used is a logical approach which matches a down up approach, the videos of people attempting the solo online so far are all downstrokes, he is not doing this.
Knowledge of the player is essential when transcribing, e.g. older players are my likely to use the CAGED system as part of their playing.
My best transcribing/perfomance advice - “if you can’t get it down you’re making it too hard” i.e. the fingerings you are using are NOT how it’s played.

4 Likes

Thanks!
I see the up dn movement but I couldn’t tell how many notes are picked. I’ll take your word for it, the transcription sounds flawless!
Do you know of any backing track for the solo section? It would be cool for studying and eventually performing.

1 Like

Put some headphones on, slow it down and listen for the pick attack it has an accent.
The transcription is rhythmically synced to the song, the majority of guitar magazine and book transcriptions are not, they are rhythmic approximations. Rhythmic accuracy and articulations are what you need to really copy a players feel.
I transcribe for fun, I will do the entire song eventually and post it. Make sure you subscribe to the my YouTube channel, I may do Patreon where I will post Guitar Pro files if people are interested in that.

2 Likes

Thanks. I subscribed and look forward to watching your other transcription works. This one on “rise” is really amazing.
In a practicing/performing perspective, I am thinking where to fetch a base for the solo, as if I’m successful I’d like to record the performance and personally I hate those performances on top of the original, as they blur the two contributions.
I’m fairly new to this, so I don’t have references: do you know if there are providers for backing tracks one could look up, for this one?

1 Like

I forgot to mention I transcribed this without a guitar, I can hear everything and visualise it in my mind. I just put it straight into the computer. It’s actually much faster that way.

I haven’t decided on posting more transcriptions yet (I have tons), I still formulating what I want to do in terms of YouTube, Patreon, etc, if anything.

I did get to show this transcription to Veron Reid and Nuno in person.

1 Like