New Transcription / Tab Project

A lot of you liked my recent transcription / tab of Yngwie Malmsteen “Far Beyond the Sun”, thanks for that!

I’m interested in doing more of a monthly transcription project and would like your feedback. What guitarists are you interested in seeing transcribed?

Take the (very) short survey linked below. I’ll let you know the results and what to expect for the next transcribed solo. Thanks!

New Transcription Survey

4 Likes

Awesome, this sounds great, definitely keep us posted on the results!

Thanks to all who submitted the survey! I’ve closed the responses for now. Here are the top 5 results:

Looks like Yngwie wins! Apparently you can’t get enough of the Fury.

I’m keeping the song choice a secret, but expect a new transcription in the next month!

2 Likes

I don’t envy you - he’s probably one of the hardest players to transcribe & notate, given his “non-metronomic” approach to timing!

Although Van Halen might have been a similar challenge!

2 Likes

I was bracing myself for a McLaughlin victory lol. Just grateful I didn’t put Holdsworth on the list.

2 Likes

Yes!! We released the f0cking Fury! :laughing: :laughing:

Can’t wait to see what you’ll do next!

4 Likes

I’m on a roll. Wrapped up one of my favorites: ‘Jet to Jet’. Check it out!

This was done surprisingly quickly. I think I’m getting the hang of this Yngwie thing. Granted, there’s comparatively less lead playing on this track than anything on Rising Force.

1 Like

Wow, such a clean result! The solo finally makes sense, the pick strokes can be more than 50% of a transcription, this is one of those cases.

I might finally start trying to learn some Yngwie stuff, there is no excuse anymore!

This would be a great first Yngwie solo to learn. Compositionally, it’s very tight and concise while covering most of his techniques: melodic phrasing, sixes patterns (in harmonized 3rds!), single string sequences, sweep arpeggios, diminished runs, the ‘volcano’ pattern, and the ‘black star’ descending scale. Everything’s all in there!

2 Likes

Thank you for Jet to Jet!! One of my favorite Yngwie solos. I’ve seen other transcriptions, but the diminished run was always strange, and watching videos he played it as you have it. Thanks for the hard work!