Newbie! Advice for Breakthroughs

Greetings everyone! I’m actually a returning member to CTC but I don’t think there was a forum when I was a member in the past. Anyhoo! I need some advice. I have been persistently chasing some speed but my third finger seems slower than my 1st and 2nd fingers. I typically only use my 4th finger for scale stuff. I did have a nasty fall about 20 years ago and hit my elbow on my left arm that did some damage to the ulnar nerve (so I’m told). I think the damage has since healed somewhat and I have improved in speed but not to where I really want to take it. So, for instance, if you go to this video at about 2:35:

I have been working on this particular lick for about 4 years. I can get it up to about 110 bpm on a good day, very warmed up. I think he is at about 120-130 bpm. When I really start pushing it, it becomes sloppy and my timing gets offf. It’s very much the same with scale type stufff like 3 notes per string, 6 notes per beat, etc.

Is there anything I can do to get a freakin’ breakthrough? I’ve really only been working on lead playing for about 9 years seriously. I’m now working with a metronome, but that only makes me frustrated. I see people flying all over the neck with so much ease, but i am wondering why I’m not getting it. I’m trying to relax when I play. I’m using a midas touch. Pick slanting has helped tremendously. So do you guys have any ideas for me that gave you some major breakthroughs? I realize that major breakthroughs come from many minor breakthroughs.

Thank you!

1 Like

OMG!!! I nearly pissed in my pants when I read your reply! LOL! I know that what you say is the answer. I’m actually taking three days off of work to woodshed. I’m sure my wife isn’t gonna be to happy with me, but…a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do! I went back to the drawing board and started from the beginning in Cracking The Code!

2 Likes