Notes from the underground (for those who need help)

First I want to thank the participants of these forums both Team and the players for the insights and the feedback given it has confirmed a great many things to be true.

However there are somethings that are missing that I think could be of great help to many from my perspective. Sometimes ones discoveries can lead the way for many others and I hope this can happen here.

What I have seen(experienced) is that things are clear when it comes to single string playing in even divisions(DWPS or forward pick slanting as I like to call it):

• Note: Play must be at least 120 bpm
  1. There is a HUGE difference between picking open string and picking a fretted string with a difference also in mixed playing open string to fretting and vis versa. The top string is by far the hardest string to do this on(picking wise).

2. Attack is not even on an upstroke and the downstrokes(when fretting notes on a string), upstrokes are harder to enunciate, so help is needed to maintain a flow from the U back to the D in cycles. A second finger holding the pick or at least an awareness of that issue is needed in some way.

3. Upstrokes vs downstrokes and cycles
    a. That there is in fact a BIG difference between starting with a downstroke or an upstroke in even cycle playing.
    b. The attack on a downstroke can vary so much but still not be the correct one in smoothing picking(but this can only be seen during fretted play).
    c. That starting even cycles(two note or four note patterns) on an upstroke can clear up issues for many that starting on downstrokes cannot because downstroke play covers up this up. Upstroke play means that the pick must be Almost Parallel to the string being played(I have seen this in play), in order for the cycle to be maintained(now I can finally downstroke sweep pick smoothly).

4. That there is a HUGE difference between playing the same thing at 120 bpm and 140 bpm (let’s say “Peg” and “Giant steps”). Using a trill of any two fingers descending on any single string, with every note picked these facts are noted:
    a. It is easier, MUCH easier to play at 140 than at 120 bpm.
    b. 140 bpm requires two finger pick holding especially on the top string. Once done for a while one finger holds can work.
    c. At 120 it is easier, Much easier to do one finger holds than two finger holds(much to my surprise).

5. After a fretted note is picked there will always be a kick which can be known in a cycle(especially a two note cycle).
    a. The feel of this is like hitting a rubber ball attached to a paddle(it can go on forever), but is very tricky when a change in fretting is made ex: 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 to 1 4 1 2 1 4 1 2(this is very different as the kick is not even between the two fingers any more but is physically syncopated I think is the best way to describe it.
    b. What this means is that you can’t slow it down to do it because it won’t exist at “slower” tempos.

The reason for this long winded discussion is to try and help so many players who feel they can’t actually play the way they feel.

After this was discovered I decided to work on the Peg solo (it took me about two minutes(with the ability to slow down the lick in the middle). I basically have Known it way for years anyway, but could I play it?

Not a chance and now I know once and for all working up to 120 bpm is absolutely hopeless it will never, ever happen period.

But what will work is understanding through play the nature of the kicks(like when bumping into fan blades), that result from actually picking fretted notes and appreciating the nature of that fact and that probably getting the general feel of the technique needed at a considerably faster tempo because the slower tempos are actually harder and that there is a difference between upstrokes and downstrokes on fretted passages.

The other thing to recognize is if this is all true on one stringed play(which it is) how can I(yet) or you possible have any real feel for a relaxed string change?

It must be the same but the actually experience alludes still, will the same issues with one versus two finger holds apply with the same applications with the same tempos(will faster be easier?), and what will the kick between string changes feel like as an actual fact, because once strings are changed in this way it will truly be felt.