Observation about pick edge curve

I’ve drawn a black line along the edge. Been using these two picks, the purple is what I’ve been using for a few years now. I play with 3mm action at the 12th fret minimum on my yjm strat.

I don’t know how useful this is to folks but I found that the straighter edged D’andrea pick was harder to control especially up the neck where your fretted string is noticeably lower during string transitions, I got used to the pick and probably cleaned up some sloppy technique but just thought that subtle difference in edge profile makes a difference!

Before the purples I used to use the Jazz 3 red, that pick is shorter and has a bigger angle at the pointy corner, probably one of the reasons it’s so popular, clearing strings is a lot easier, but I’m not a fan of it’s tone.

edit: the irony is these picks are pointier than the jazz 3 reds in a sense :slight_smile:

I prefer a pick with a very sharp point, but when I tried the V-Pick Switchblade I found the same problem you describe. The edges are too straight for me. I was shocked at how much it messed with my picking.

index

1 Like

I, too, find curved edges to be optimal. My current favorite pick is the Dunlop Flow, which has very curved edges ending in a very pointed tip. A friend of mine used Dunlop Sharps years ago, which are pointed with completely flat edges, and I found them nigh unusable. haha

1 Like

Glad to know I’m not alone on this.

Between the purple and the D’andrea the curve difference is so subtle, but it makes it much harder to pick!

The thing is the D’andrea material is somewhat unique, old school resin and I really like the tone, will sound killer on acoustic, seems to have better longevity, but it’s also a bit strange as the material seems harder but it develops a bend. Initially I didn’t bother with them due to their tendency to develop a curve, but now I’ve figured that just got to play them with the concave side on the thumb and it’s all fine.

1 Like

This could be relevant :slight_smile:

If I remember correctly, Troy addresses both the pointy-ness and the curvature of the side of the pick.

2 Likes

At one stage, I remember using a giant pizza slice Clayton pick. Which seems to have no curve.

I think I have some smaller versions laying around which also had no curve.

I remember it taking a few days with a new pick before it felt comfortable.

No idea why I chose to use them…

2 Likes

Tommo! Troy has really covered a lot of ground there, his content on all this is rather astonishing. It’s why we are here I suppose.

The edge radius is a finer point I suppose that could be added on a revisit on this subject if ever.

1 Like

I’ve actually been messing with this recently! I’ve been playing with two picks that are almost the same in my opinion, but the curve difference is noticeable.

The two picks:

Stacked on top of each other, hopefully you see the bottom pick’s more prominent curve sticking out:

I’m liking both and honestly just switch between them for fun at the moment. I’ll see if I can pinpoint strengths / weaknesses with time.

1 Like

We do talk about this isn the Jazz III video, and possibly the 351 and 346 videos as well, I forget. Not sure if this is the kind of thing you’re referring to. I’ve cued up the spot:

2 Likes

one thing that scares me is i dont want to start losing my big stubby 3.0s because if you take a peak into gypsy jazz picks, and their price range. well you will begin to make sure you keep up with your picks instead of being forgetful about where you left it because i have this feeling the big stubby’s will go up in price soon enough.

1 Like

I’ve been a Jazz III guy for 20 years now, and I’ve been using the Eric Johnson Jazz III for at least 10 of those years. I often try out different pics, and sometimes I like them better than the EJs for some specific things, but I’ve never found anything else which was as comfortable overall.

However, I really like the Flow geometry. The standard size is a bit larger than what I would prefer, but it’s still very comfortable. I’ve tried a few different flows, and I like the Tortex 1.0mm Flows best out of those I’ve tried. I found the Ultex Flows to be a little too chirpy for my taste.

I also tried the Petrucci Trinity, which has the Flow geometry, 3 points and a smaller over all size (about the same as a Jazz III). It’s ultex, but the tone doesn’t bother me. I really like the Trinity, especially with my primary DSX/Sweep/Hybrid form.

I also tried the big triangular picks that Frank Gambale uses after watching his CTC interview. They really do make sweeps feel great.

1 Like

Have you tried the Clayton triangle picks? I found them really clunky as there is practically no bevels.

Exactly that, man you’ve nailed this stuff. :brain::mechanical_arm:

1 Like

I find some days it’s more noticeable than others. I’m curious to know how man hours you guys are playing on a daily basis :face_with_monocle:

This kind of stuff can keep me up at night. First it was NOS tubes, and now that you mention it, i need to stock up on the purples.

I’m going to try and get a sample pack or some such.

1 Like

Not those specifically, but I’ve tried other picks with essentially straight edges, and I’ve always hated them.

1 Like

I really like those! I wonder why I stopped using them… I might pull some out and noodle.

I would definitely try a smaller flow pick, not necessarily as small as a Jazz III, but it would still be tight! I did some isolated A/B with the tortex jazz III I used to use and some ultex picks, and the ultex definitely won for me; I personally like really twangy tones that cut for guitar most of the time. Next time I try to approximate an EJ tone, I’ll have to see what pick ends up winning.

Short answer: not enough. Long answer: maybe 30 minutes to an hour every other day?