Odd counting observation

I’m going to try to post an image for you to reference.

If I play the following sequence using exact pick escapes and pick direction but thinking either straight 16th notes or counting it as a 5 and a 3

When I think of it as 16ths it’s chopped and not fluid

If I think 5 and 3 I can play it as 16ths smoothly

Any thoughts?

The image shows how my pick is oriented and when it changes
Pu= the pick is slanted up
Pd= down slant.

Could it be where the natural accent feel is? In 16ths, the first and 5th note (both down strokes) tend to ‘feel’ right (4 and 4) where as 5 and 3 (<- an upstroke) you displace the second accent. The upstroke accent is inherently less than with a down stroke.

1 Like

if you are naturally better at double up you could just shift back into the other scale box, and start the lick on the down stroke. this way you can get rid of unnecessary brain processes, pick slant changing.

1 Like

I think I’ve more to add now.
Noticed I’m able to get started just fine
It’s after the second or third string change.
So I’m thinking that I string track better with fives than fours. I’m not opposed to switching to otherboxes to maintain 1 way I’m just trying to work this out. The accent idea is a good thought too, I was thinking that with 5s my motion is more rest stroke looking and with 4s in this instance I’m using my own power to stop the stroke and turn it around.

However I’m really going to focus on string tracking to find out if that’s it. I’ll be back. Lol

So here is what I noticed.
When I play 5s I anchor only a little with the meaty part of my palm where the thumb attached. (Probably more for muting) When I play 4s I was straight up anchoring with the blade of my hand more or less and the thumb meat. Basically locking myself down.

I’m very happy to be back here. I adopted the weird 2way approach because I just couldn’t get arics descending fives.

But I’m finally mostly comfortable with the pattern I posted as it gives me access so lots of sequences as long as I stick to the format.

I’m sure I will hit a wall with the frequent pick escape changes but I’m already just an out fast enough to play what I m after.

Now I’m locked in I just need spend another winter polishing.

Thanks again being able to see light at the end of a 54 year long tunnel. Lol.

One of my favorites quotes or whatever goes like this.

Sir after 80 years why are you still doing it?

I’m starting to see progress!

Also what you can do is leave a rhythmic break, super slight pause, between the two beat groupings. So chunk the first 4, then chunk the next four. Make sure to rhythmical sound each chunk as sixteenths, and not some other rhythmic feel like a triplet groove. I like to use metronome beats. Use the pause in the initial stage as a crutch, and over a few days try to bring them together. Allow the hands a day or two with the pause so your body can discern and sense the two chunks separately.

1 Like