O'keeffe's working hands?

This stuff:

Has anyone used this?
I read years ago that it works by actually sinking into the skin, and it will also take whatever you mix with it into the skin too, but I can’t find that text I read at all.
Apparently so much so that you have to be careful what you mix it with. Does anyone have any info?

Maybe I’m thinking of a different product?

Hi @WhammyStarScream. Sorry for the late reply, I hadn’t seen this post.

I’ve used this product before, it’s essentially a moisturizer for dry hands.

I am a university lecturer, and part of my job is writing mathematics on blackboards with chalk. I don’t usually have a problem with dry hands, but when I was working in Beijing, the combination of the dry climate and the poor quality of the chalk I was supplied with quickly resulted in very dry, cracking skin. I sourced my own chalk and some different hand creams, including O’Keeffe’s. I found O’Keeffe’s was the most effective hand cream for me.

I was also recommended this product later when I started indoor climbing. The climbing chalk and the friction on the hand holds also results in dry hands and skin that can crack (or tear off on the holds, look up “climbing flapper”). While I was climbing (I had to stop due to the pandemic), I started taping my fingers to give a layer of protection between my skin and the holds, and using O’Keeffe’s hand cream after washing the climbing chalk of my hands.

I’m also aware that people who handle cash or other paper often develop dry and cracked skin on their hands. I know that O’Keeffe’s is often recommended and used by bank tellers, people working in print shops, etc.

Essentially any moisturizer works, in part by absorption through the skin. I don’t know if O’Keeffe’s has different absorption properties from other hand creams, that would somehow make it more likely to allow other products mixed with it to permeate the skin. I would be doubtful that O’Keeffe’s carries a risk that is unusual compared to other moisturizers.

It would seem to me that the logical thing to do if you’re worried about other products mixed with moisturizers permeating the skin would be not to mix any other products with moisturizers. I can say that with sparing use, I’ve never had any problems from using O’Keeffe’s.

1 Like

I like corn huskers lotion if I’m going to be immediately using my hands, working hands is my go-to at the end of a day.

For really bad cases I have “bag balm” which is a product originally for cow’s udders, if you put some on at bedtime it’s still greasy in the morning. And it smells of medicine.

1 Like

I have eczema. It mostly affects my hands. I have to use steroid creams for ten days at a time, break for a week or two, then it flairs up again. I wonder would something like this help with eczema…? :thinking:

I often have to use the musicians practice glove when the fingers open up. It’s a major ass pain

1 Like

Hi @jptk .

I’d recommend speaking to a dermatologist before you try anything new. I’m not an expert and I don’t want to give unqualified medical advice over the internet.

O’Keeffe’s is inexpensive and easy to find, so if your doctor says it’s OK, then this product or an alternative (like Nivea or Neutrogena) might be worth trying.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who had pretty severe eczema on his hands. He started to cover his hands in E45 every night and wear surgical gloves on top. His condition started improving, eventually only using the E45 and gloves every other night. I don’t know what his current routine is.

1 Like

I think perhaps I was associating O’Keeffe’s with another product I’ve read about on a grip forum. People were talking about how a certain product sinks anything you mix with it into the skin. I can’t remember the name at all.

Thanks for the advice. Might be best to do a patch test somewhere to see. I’ve had bad reactions to some products before so need to be careful!

I have sensitive skin. Most shampoos and shower gels irritate my skin, and I have a contact allergy to aluminium. I haven’t had any issues with O’Keeffe’s myself, but a patch test is a good idea.

1 Like

It was DMSO that I got confused with this, Apparently that chemical brings whatever it’s mixed with into the skin.