One direction Banjo rolls

What is my problem with three string forward roll? I couldn’t find a way to skip that string in the middle, and almost always hop the string in the middle. How can I not do that? I have no problem if I am not skipping the string while doing 1nps arpeggios or at relatively slow tempos. All of it while alternate picking.

1 Like

You could try trying to skip more than 1 string, which will require somewhat of a bigger movement. Once you get that down to a fluid motion at a medium pace, go back to skiping one string. Sometimes when I am trying to do what seems relatively simple, I’m trying to micro-manage and my picking motions get all tight and rigid with small movements. Also, maybe you are practicing the same thing for too long and burning in bad habits. Maybe vary up the practice with some other things or other rolls and then pop the difficult one in for a few measures, might help you from over thinking it, instead make it a natural part of your playing.

2 Likes

I might be “a little” stuck and obsessed over it. Should ı stop working on it for say a week and come back and work on it or how should I practice it? Should I isolate the movement or something else?

Hey, thanks for posting!

Have you seen these yet? If not, might be a good place to start:

You could also try posting a video to #technique-critique if you like! See:

I too get to obsessed with one thing and I don’t think it helps and when it isn’t going well it becomes your nemesis. The danger of leaving it for a week is that you might forget about whilst getting obsessed with something else and then you are no further with it. Isolating the movement can work if you are able to ensure that the movement is correct and the same as you usual good movement - easier said than done. I say just practice it a little less, like a few measures here or there, move on to something else and maybe return later. Limit the time but do it every day and don’t obsess. Also, do not practice it unless you are warmed up! You will fail and get even more frustrated.

Can you play different rolls effectively? If so, try and do those and then switch to the forward roll for a few measures and back again. Hopefully you will do it automatically when the picking hand is in full swing.

Definitely do as Brendan suggests go over the material again and post a critique video for others to advise on