Oz Noy interview - what questions should we ask?

Hey all, we’re planning to have Oz Noy in to the Cracking the Code studio for an interview at the end of this month.

Oz has amazing chops and tons of great experience both playing and teaching. His musical interests touch many genres (blues, funk, rock, jazz / fusion…) and he’s a particularly skilled improviser.

We’d love any suggestions for topics or questions we should try to cover in the interview!

6 Likes

Perhaps what techniques/mechanics he’s struggled with but overcame, and how he overcame them (practice exercises, different mechanics, etc.). The same could be asked about what he’s currently working on in that same vein.

3 Likes

He has to be an uwps. But he doesn’t seem to ever pick every note in a line.

1 Like

I think it would be cool to see how he tackles his octave displacement ideas

1 Like

For sure he’s a great great player

Very interesting player thanks!

As I mentioned in another post, in general I would be curious to know more about strumming technique - if other people are interested, this interview could be a good opportunity to sneak in one or two questions about that!

EDIT: even something as simple as “how do you hold the pick so that it doesn’t fly away”? And something about the strum mechanics (wrist/forearm etc.) - in case he’s aware of it. Thanks!

4 Likes

I’ll certainly second that idea. I’ve always liked a bit of funk strumming and Oz has a great understanding of that, so a conversation about some of that would be fantastic!

3 Likes

About art of phrasing,how effectively increase our vocabulary and…about what is happening in composer’s head,what we do not see when he play.

“…explanations and analysis of the creative and improvisational techniques musicians use for style, phrasing, solo development, and motivic improvisation”.

3 Likes

Thanks all, great suggestions, we’ll see how much of this we’re able to touch on in the interview!

2 Likes

I’d almost guarantee that he is actually cross-picking, like most jazz guitarists. I’d almost guarantee that he will also say he uses pull-offs in order to create “horn-like” phrasing. Dude is a Wes fanatic, Id be more interested in hearing how he differentiates between using Diminished and Altered on dominant chords, or if he more or less mixes the two by using b5-nat5-#5 as a chromatic row. I’m also interested in hearing his thoughts on side-slipping and if he thinks of that more as playing altered-dom/diminished or if he actually thinks of it as side-slipping.

2 Likes

He also is known for fast economy picking lines

1 Like

Oh good lord Awesome. ask him about his polyphonic playing. does he work out the different rhythms before hand? Is he able to play together two different pre constructed licks randomly or does he have to practice specific polyphonic licks to get them to work? How much can he improvise with this technique? Then of course there’s the technical aspect of him jumping around his picking from these various lines and how he pulls them off.
In general he seems to vary between dwps and uwps and sometimes use fingers. It would be interesting to see up close!

2 Likes

This seems interesting. It looks like he alternate picks ascending and sweeps descending.

4 Likes