Party in the USA

I play a bare bones 4 piece cover band; no backing tracks get used and it’s a male singer. I’m trying to get the band to do more pop and dance stuff. My male singer can not sing Miley Cyrus LOL but what song(s) could he possibly sing that would fit great over the band playing party in the USA. For clarity, guitar, bass and drums play Party in the USA and singer sings a different song on top. Any ideas?

I don’t know any Miley Cyrus song as such but I do like this cover I once came across.

1 Like

Just so I understand, is it that he cannot sing Miley’s stuff because of vocal range, or does he have some ideological issue with singing her stuff? Lol! Pretty sure it’s the former since the latter sounds absurd. But typically when a male sings a song written for a female vocal range or vice versa, you’d just change the key so it’s more comfortable.

I do love the idea of a sort of “mashup” though, where you find some other song that works over the background music of Party in the USA. I’m trying to think of something that would suit, but we may be back to square one as the key of the song in general might be tough for a guy to sing. I’m possibly overthinking this, just want to make sure I understand haha!

1 Like

He would have no problem singing the song for fun. It’s a range thing is what I was identifying. Yeah Id really like to mash up. Some ppl get really creative with them but it’s hard for me to put one song “over another” in my head so to speak lol

Right, and it might be like, part of one song works over the original, but the chorus doesn’t. I guess then you just look for another one that does work.

But yeah that vocal range thing is going to be the important part. Choosing a song that works over “Party”, in the same key, may have notes outside the vocal range. If you can tell me what your singer’s highest (and lowest) comfortable notes are, that would help. Or if you don’t know, just maybe list the song you do that you think requires his highest notes. I can fill in the gaps myself from there.

Can you search somewhere for songs listed by chord progression? I just listened to Party in the USA real quick, and it’s all I iii vi V in F# (or Gb). I didn’t think about this too much, but you could put All Star from Smash Mouth over that. lol There would be a spot where the melody hangs briefly on B over the D#m chord, but it could still work…

Anyway, this remains the best all-time mashup imo:

I dont think it has to be the same key though does it? Cuz he could really just change whatever he was singing to whatever he needed; i think the rhythmic structure has to be more of the puzzle piece. Here is a great example:
https://www.tiktok.com/@litbandofficial/video/7202415338569452846

Although idk if the TSwift song is in the same key or not so I could def be wrong about that

Thats really cool. Albeit too heavy for local cover band stuff haha but thats what im talking about. It’s very creative. Im trying to sing All Star over the Party in USA chorus but it doesnt feel right lmao.

Edit: you might be right on the money because I just found this. Stream All Star Party In The USA (Mashup) by Christopher Speranza | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

I would think if he dropped it an octave and had fun with it, the crowd wouldn’t care and would jam out

1 Like

ha! I should look into a career as mashup creator. :wink:

2 Likes

no just help me !! haha

1 Like

Well this is Freaken awesome for the singers who can’t quite hit ACDC vox

1 Like

What songs do you think would fit well over Spice Girls Wannabe?

That’s tough, because the intro for Wannabe isn’t really in a key (hence the vox being non-melodic). The verses are just V vi IV I in B, though… I’ll ponder it.

1 Like

Totally do kid rock’s “bawitdaba” over the intro to spice girls’ “wannabe”

2 Likes

Yes!! Combining two awful songs could in fact make one awesome song! I’d love to hear it! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Don’t forget that changing key and making it easier to sing is great for audience participation - awesome vibe for big choruses

1 Like