Paul Gilbert with very light gauge strings and thin pick

Paul shredding with a 0.50 mm Tortex pick and .08 to .38 strings!

5 Likes

I always said that the hard pick thing is a myth :wink: I can also reach my fastest speeds with a .5mm. I am not as good as Paul of course :smiley:

1 Like

Paul almost seemed ashamed of 8 and said that in terms of tone 8 < 9 < 10.

Paul seems to like thin picks for their superior pick scratching, but this is also manifest when edge-picking wound strings (Paul calls that ā€œcello sound,ā€ if I recall). Perhaps the solution is to have a sharp scratch-only edge like KHā€™s signature pick?

Oh, one unrelated thing: One would think that a Kemper might make sense for a fly rig, particularly if one was to have a Kemper endorsement.

Ah, the superstition is still strong in the world of guitar :smiley:

Going from a lifetime of 10s to 9s was one of my best guitar decisions - my vibrato got instantly better and my left hand tendons are thanking me every day!

(And having said that, I am still not immune to weird unfounded guitar beliefs!)

1 Like

Do you not find it flops around too much?

Having said that thinner picks do something to the Tone, they have a different attack release than thicker picks.

So why not 8ā€™s? My strings (8ā€“38) are around a mere 10# of tension (bottom four are a semitone flat), and it sounds fine and is much easier to bend than 9ā€™s.

Ultimately I look at it as tension in the string, some people want #30, others want #10, and most are in between.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to try Misha Mansoor/Horizon Devicesā€™s progressive tension strings next. Iā€™m also going to put together a couple of sets of so-called ā€œbalanced tensionā€ strings from individual Elixir strings. Iā€™ve been curious about this for a while.

String gauge:
For me 10ā€™s work best for the feel i want.
I like a strat style guitar with low action. With 9ā€™s you canā€™t get the action that low without string rattle, with 8ā€™s itā€™s even worse of course.
That is you maybe can, but you will have to have a very light touch, and at times i realy like to dig into the strings, for a different sound and more dynamic playing.

Picks:

With a thicker pick i canā€™t get more dynamics and also playing faster is easier for the way i pick.
I am expirimenting with a Fender medium now again ( when i started playing i always used Fender medium picks), and i must say it is not that bad as i thought.
You get more snap and highā€™s and more noise on the lower strings but less bass and less dynamics.
If you like that scratchy (Cello like sound as Paul G calls it) then a thinner pick is the way to go; I donā€™t like that sound though.

I think that people really think in terms of tension (I am around 10#), but they quote gauge. This web site mostly works,

http://stringtensionpro.com/

I like the tension of heavier strings, Iā€™m in 11s for E, but personally pick thickness contributes to worse technique. The larger picks require more delicate and precise movement. I used 1.35mms and liked those, but the other day I had an .88mm and noticed how much cleaner my playing was because of it and now I am not messing with anything larger than 1mm, I donā€™t want to relearn more things haha

I was browsing through CtCā€™s Insta and found thisā€¦

It reads:

crackingthecodeguitar

When you wanna get funky, break out them thin picks. With a @jimdunlopusa .46mm Nylon youā€™ve got so many snappy sounds available, no compressor required.

This is kinda subjective. Different sounds for different gauges/thicknesses.

But also, I find there is more ā€˜giveā€™ with thicker strings. With thinner strings, I can hear more ā€˜string talkā€™ and pitchyness, but with thicker strings, it sounds a bit cleaner, accurate, solid.

But of course, with 11s, I do have issues with vibrato.

What tuning are you in with your 11s?

I just changed back down to 8s and I love them. Sure the tone isnā€™t as thick, but I donā€™t mind really. It makes my guitar so playable.

1 Like

Standard ā€˜Eā€™ tuning. No question my strings are tight. Hammer-ons tend to require a bit more exertion. Pull-offs are fine though.

I do go back and forth occasionally to my other guitar with light strings. But I can never get it to sound the way I want.

I think I have a pretty aggressive attack on the string, so that strings would also flop around a bit with 10s, there was perhaps a small difference in feel but I adapted pretty fast and the left hand benefits were just too significant to be ignored - I probably donā€™t have a very strong fretting hand :slight_smile: (In fact I find barres and such exhausting - e.g. I hate the F chord 1st fret).

Tone wise, I actually like my attack more with slightly bendier picks, as I hear less chirp. I havenā€™t yet watched the latest chapters on edge picking etc. but this is probably a well known thing. Volume wise, I think I just pick deeper and it does the job.

As a little demonstration, hereā€™s some noodling I just did with a .60 dunlop ā€œwedgeā€:

You can tell that your attack isnt as pronounced as when you are using heavier picks. Personally, I prefer the attack of thinner picks. I picked (pun intended) up Dunlop Tortex Flow .50mm and .60mm and they are very nice picks.

2 Likes

I went from 10ā€™s to 9ā€™ for decades and for the past 3 or 4 years using 7ā€™s and donā€™t like 8ā€™s! My hands have no stress, left hand loves it, especially any legato stuff. Iā€™m working on developing my extreme shred stuff these days. My picking is undergoing a renovation too, and thatā€™s a bit more challenging with super light strings. I also use thin picks, Delrin for years.

3 Likes