Pepe's magnet shots

So this thing showed up like 3 days early! I was out of town for a couple weeks without a guitar (plus a couple weeks before that without really playing) so I feel like my playing is more or less hot garbage, but I was still stoked to pull it out and start tinkering!

Few thoughts so far:

• A bit of a learning curve to figure out where on the neck to place it for optimal support on the body while still having a good view, and where to place the phone for a balance of security and viewing angle.
  • Iā€™m gonna experiment not using the cord for a bit; I find it sometimes gets in the way when youā€™re trying to put it on the neck, plus sliding it over the neck just seems a tad inconvenient.
  • Gotta figure out the best settings for recording quality, editing, uploading, etc.

Excited to play with it more!

5 Likes

Not using the cord? You mean using the magnet unplugged???

Joking aside, I had a similar experience. I took the cord off because I was tired of weaving it past all the tuning pegs and so far so good. It seems to stay in place without the cord.

I did just have an epiphany though - there is no knot at the ā€˜pinchy-ball-thingyā€™ end, so you could easily just remove that pinchy-ball-thingy, put the magnet on, thread the cord back into the pinchy ball thingy and not have to mess with sliding it over the neck. Even thatā€™s a tad inconvenient though. Itā€™s even inconvenient to type that suggestionā€¦

You had some pretty blistering phrases in there :slight_smile: Canā€™t wait to see some more footage from you.

2 Likes

Itā€™s easy to tell from that clip you have it down down man, impressive two way slant!

I like how the camera looses focus when you move your hand away :smiley:

1 Like

Quick hit of one of my ā€œbenchmarkā€ rhythm parts! Experimenting with recording in dedicated ā€œslo moā€ mode on my phone, and figuring out how to edit it (this is 1/4 speed, can still go down to 1/8). I wonder if you can play this without swiping, seems like it would be impossible with all the downpicking. Sorry for the notification noises, I forgot my computer was routing into my phone!

This was on a headless guitar; I could just imagine tuning pegs! Iā€™ve only had it pop off once so far, but I think I didnā€™t ā€œseatā€ it well!

Thanks! Just random noodling in hopes that my playing kinda ā€œsnaps backā€ to shape, lol.

The two way thing is always a mystery to me, which is why Iā€™m hoping this thing helps me figure it out!

This has actually been the biggest issue with ā€œslo moā€ mode recording on my phone; I have to use the text on the pick for the autofocus to pick it up!

1 Like

Your raw speed with the wrist joint is a thing of beauty :+1:

3 Likes

Looks great, thanks for posting. Couple questions:

If this were an interview, Iā€™d try to get the camera farther away from the picking hand (i.e. at a lower fret) and closer down near the strings. I realize a lower fret may be tricky if youā€™ve got a very thin neck with 24 frets and deep body cutaways. Once you get down to frets 12-15 youā€™re on the thinner wood with less grip at that point. But mounting in that location will give you a better look at whatā€™s going on with the rest of the arm, and also make the angle a little lower. What fret are you on currently?

Getting lower to the strings can also help. Is the camera on your phone near the edge, and are you placing that edge closest to the strings?

Weā€™re still figuring out what type of equipment people are using and how they are positioning the Magnet, so any feedback on that is helpful.

3 Likes

Pics!

This:

Another classic, I tried to isolate good reps and bad reps to see the mistakes:

Second recording attempt, I felt like my picking was getting more in the ā€œgrooveā€ here (quite literally, as far as where I like to hold it on my thumb, farther back); I think the pattern on my sick pajamas is making the camera focus on it instead:

I found that my editor lets me have 2 separate instances of slo mo, so each video has a 1/4 and 1/8 speed portion.

Forgot to mention: this is the highest fret that I can hit with the magnet on, but Iā€™m grazing it with my pinky and itā€™s just a tad bothersome (I feel like it affected my playing). Next recording will be transposed so I can add the second and third patterns.

1 Like

Thanks! It looks like itā€™s the camera placment on your phone that is producing the slightly high angle, i.e. the lens appears to be closer to the center of the phone than the edge. I donā€™t recognize that phone, which make / model is that?

1 Like

Nice playing! Two comments:

Youā€™re good enough now at these type of mixed escape lines that I would drop this to about 85% of this speed and become much pickier about not tolerating scratchy attack, missed notes, or timing inconsistencies. The motions are there and you are well into the long tail, where the main thing that makes the accuracy improve is by playing in a slightly reduced speed range where mistakes still occur, but can be consciously noticed and fixed. Any slower and there are no mistakes to fix. Any faster, and they occur but are not fixable.

Second comment, I donā€™t think the slight thumb motion is doing you any favors. It mostly occurs on lower strings, so I think you just do this because the wrist has run out of range of motion and you canā€™t really reach those strings any more. The solution is to move the whole hand to a lower point. For a fixed repeating pattern like this, you can probably sit on a lower string ā€” or partially on the body ā€” to begin with, and just use wrist to reach all four strings. For 5- and 6-string lines, unless you have very large hands, you will probably require some tracking, either via elbow motion, or arm/shoulder motion, to reach them all. Yes youā€™ll have to learn what it feels like to sit in these other locations. But the picking motion becomes easier because youā€™re not asking the wrist to operate outside its comfort zone, introduce the complexity of finger helper motions, etc.

Nice work!

5 Likes

I wonder if thereā€™s anyway I could mitigate that, maybe Iā€™ll test some other zoom settings or placements.

Samsung S20 Ultra with a fat case!

I feel like this is my main weakness, as far as practicing goes. Iā€™m happy if I can nail something once or twice really well, but never put in the " real work" in perfecting it consistently. Iā€™ll try to work on this more!

This is something Iā€™ve been experimenting with for years, as far as what joint is doing the tracking. I feel like the thumb just started to be more involved because I feel more accurate / comfortable moving my thumb and keeping my shoulder somewhere thatā€™s comfortable and my palm somewhere that I can still control muting well. There are old videos here of me doing lines that are across all strings; Iā€™ll try to remember some of them and do magnet shots!

Thanks for your time as always, and your insight! This thing has definitely been really fun and motivating me to play more.

The cameras on the S20 appear to be approximately near the edge, however they might be a little bit farther away from the edge than on an iPhone. Maybe thatā€™s all Iā€™m seeing. If you have the ā€œultraā€ model it looks like there is an additional camera called the DepthVision camera which is located more toward the center of the phone. It might only be used to measure distance, not to produce an image. That camera would definitely produce a high angle if itā€™s used, but Iā€™m not sure if it is.

Itā€™s not that Iā€™m against finger motion per se, itā€™s that Iā€™ve become wary of any motion that only appears to activate intermittently. When weā€™ve filmed players, the helper motion seems to be where most of the mistakes occur. If the technique is working then I donā€™t worry about it. But if there are accuracy or other issues, and I also see helper motions, then I think ok, better off getting rid of them to reduce the number of variables and complexity.

Your motions look excellent in terms of being the right ballpark. There are simply a few lingering mechanical issues that you can potentially streamline or standardize (e.g. finger vs no fingers, anchor location, consistency of attack, etc.). The accuracy issues arenā€™t so much because motions are incorrect, as they are simply occasionally playing the wrong note or string. i.e. ā€œMistakesā€, in the classic sense of the term.

I notice many of your clips are super fast, at speeds where itā€™s hard to make accuracy improvements because everything is a blur. We advise fast motion as a starting point, but only a starting point. This is just to make sure players donā€™t inadvertently choose an awkward and inefficient motion which canā€™t be sped up, or canā€™t be sped up without effort and tension. Youā€™re beyond that point, so thereā€™s no need to go full blast other than as an occasional test.

Of course if you slow down too much the motions are no longer the same and youā€™ll just get all the notes right with the wrong technique. So slowing down only a small amount to a zone where the hit rate is high but not perfect will give you a more manageable number of errors to try and fix. I would just make the mental note to use this slightly slower speed whenever possible and not slip into the all-out shred/fun zone. You donā€™t need hours per day to improve accuracy, just a greater percentage of time spent trying to get rid of errors in the ā€œimprovement zoneā€, where mental effort is greater.

3 Likes

More experimenting with the magnet setup; I think I mostly fixed the focus issue by locking the focus on the pick before I start recording!

I think this might be the first magnet shot of a bass on here, also first trailing edge?

2 Likes

The speed is fantastic and it looks effortless!

The sync is not 100% there* yet but I think youā€™ll be able to fix it by slowing down a little, then speeding up again etc.

*I am jealous so I needed to find something innit :smiley:

1 Like

This is spot on and I definitely feel it! A big hurdle on bass for me is stretching the left hand to span the frets (I think I have pretty long fingers, so Iā€™m guessing this is an issue for most people as well); I find myself focusing more on ā€œaimingā€ the left hand that I do on syncing.

Yep! Iā€™m going to get myself a shorter scale bass at some point becauseā€¦ why work so hard? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s so fast, and you go from zero to sonic that it almost looks fake/comical lol! Thatā€™s very much a compliment, BTW. Very cool playing!

I posted a video a few days ago of me trying to play Tumeni Notes (Joe's DBX Magnet Practice - #46 by joebegly), and I think I accidentally had a trailing edge grip in the first clip. I watched it again and itā€™s hard to say because itā€™s close to neutral but Iā€™ve got that banana thumb happening. At any rate, your playing is way better than mine and youā€™re intentionally doing tailing edge, so Iā€™ll allow you the honor of the first trailing edge video.

1 Like

I was tempted to get one a while back, but Iā€™m afraid of losing the clarity on low strings! Low B is 35ā€ on this one, whereas a standard short scale is 30"? 32"?

Lol thank you! Minimizing the ā€œramp upā€ time for fast passages is one of the things that Iā€™ve worked on; I feel better about it, but still not where I want it. I can tell that I sometimes hang on the first note if itā€™s not to a metronome.

noooo

Lol even if itā€™s not intentional, youā€™re still the first! I started experimenting again with it on guitar, and have found a couple things that have made me like it more. Iā€™ll probably post a clip here soon!

Iā€™ve never really worked on descending / ascending 4s, so I started working it. Mostly trying to settle on a fingering for now, since it has that weird part between the B and G strings which I donā€™t think can be played with @Tom_Gilroy 's EDC fingerings. Hereā€™s the fingering I settled on:

Magnet view:

Pretty sure I added an extra 4 notes on the fingering video?

With the 4s, Iā€™ve been working on accenting beats more so I donā€™t get lost / out of sync. Iā€™ve been trying to find similar ā€œrhythmsā€ to play things that are in harder groupings, like this one:

Practicing it, alternating ā€œgunning itā€ and controlled run throughs: