Perfect Pitch and note memory

I’ve always had kind of a good ear. And I can remember notes. I can remember an A# and from there its easy to know an A (and I guess you could figure out the rest of them) and a D. I’ve never been bothered to try to know all the notes. I just don’t care. But I always know an A# and if I sing it into a guitar tuner, it almost always goes to the center indictating very accurate pitch. But I don’t claim perfect pitch at all. Just an ok ear.

In this Beato video, he has a guy on who has perfect pitch (though he is not as impressive as Beato’s son who is unbelievable). Anyway here is the video:

Maybe i misunderstood, but I think the guy says at the end his notes are flat in his head sometimes? Shouldn’t his notes be dead accurate in his head?

I’ve read that yes as people get older and age perfect pitch is lost (it gets flat i think) but this is not the case here. He is a young guy and has impressive PP chops. Just seems weird.

Like I said, I don’t have perfect pitch, I just burned some songs into my memory and I know the notes by replaying the song in my head, and it is always accurate.

So for the A# (and A), I play this song in my head (I let the song play) :

For a D I play this in my head:

I’ve always found this an interesting topic. I’ve read Yngwie claim he has perfect pitch (and his excellent intonation and pitch suggests it) but then I read him say he doesn’t have it he justs has very good relative pitch. I believe Tony Macalpine said he has it. Beato did an interview with him but he never discussed it.

Of course, perfect pitch is not necessary to be an excellent musician. And I beleive everyone eventually loses it anyway. It may even have downsides… but mostly upsides I guess. But I find note memory fascinating. When I remember an A#, it always sounds the same, like knowing what you had for breakfast this morning when you think back later. What you had for breakfast this morning doesn’t change, just like an A#.

2 Likes

I love memorizing notes! I don’t have the whole chromatic scale but I have a few mnemonic references that I find quite useful:

C and D: The intro of Spanish rock ballad “La Chispa Adecuada” starts with these two notes.
F# and A: Blue Oyster Cult’s Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll
B: The first note of the second guitar in Nothing Else Matters

2 Likes