Perfection wrist motion

Check out the guitar solo around 4:40

Solo guitar: Lautaro Figueroa

Wow

I love Deep Purple and this is one of their greatest songs in my opinion. You guys ROCKED IT!!! Very very cool!!! Killed that lead!!! AWESOME WORK!!!

So i tried his arpeggios but at a much lower tempo. The pattern is 2 notes on first string, 2 notes on third string, one note on the forth string and back up again, i.e. He’s skipping the second string. I first tried by using he’s right hand choice i.e. starting on a down stroke making all string changes outside. Failed to get anywhere near that speed but then I tried starting on an up stroke and suddenly I could play at a much higher tempo now utilizing inside picking.
Anyone else tried these arpeggios?
I might try to post a video to get some feedback

Cheers!

What a mind-blowing performance!

Can you explain what happens with the single note?

So it’s a pattern of 8 notes all together played as 16’th notes, two notes per string except the forth string which is played only once.
If you start the pattern with an downstroke all string changes will be outside and the opposite starting on an upstroke

|

this looks like a reverse paul gilbert string skipping arpeggio. You could use pull offs on way down and hammers on way back up for the legatto thing. Otherwise it would be a two way pick slanting problem where you DSX going down then switch to USX on the way back up.

1 Like

Yes, of course you could utilize by using hammer ons but the idea here is to pick every note the same way the dude is doing. I just find it easier starting on an upstroke for the inside switching purpose and I’m not normally using slants in any direction

And when trying all the arpeggios involved, my left hand is the main problem, also, I do face issues with my right on the way back from the single note on the forth string

Thank you! But a stupid question: Is this USX, DSX, or DBX?

I assumed it was USX and you started free, then went

D U on the E,
D U on the G,
? On the D? Does it do DBX and flip to DSX? :thinking:

Can you explain what happens there? Thanks! :pray:

Correct, depending on your starting pick stroke

1 Like

Ok, this has already been answered by Judmeister. So for your variant starting on a downstroke means DU DU D i.e. USX for the descending part and then UD U DSX for the ascending part. Or DBX for both directions regardless of the starting stroke.

For me, starting on a downstroke i.e. all string changes are outside, makes it impossible since I’m forced to use a too wide motion which at faster tempos and that motion fails accuracy

Sorry, I am asking about Laucha. What is he doing at the one note per string?

I haven’t watched his details but I guess he’s picking all the notes and since he’s starting on a downstroke all string changes are downstrokes including the one note on the forth string

Pretty similar to the Petrucci “Universal Mind” pattern. Even though “2 way pickslanting” has gone from a blanket term to a deprecation, if someone had a good wrist motion that would be a way to solve this one. Change from USX to DSX on the D string, back to USX where the pattern starts over. Or, if for whatever someone wanted to start with an upstroke, the exact opposite approach would work.

The important caveat here is, not many people have enough coordination between the wrist/forearm to do this without making a complete mess of things lol! And I think that was a big reason Troy abandoned sending people down that road. The vast majority of attempts from CtC students were not working. He himself can do this, but he has more (learned) coordination than the general guitar population, even among fairly advanced players.

My understanding of Troy’s mission is to get as many people as possible playing fast and clean, in the shortest amount of time. To that end, the problem this pattern presents is a great candidate for strategic legato. I bet no one would hear the pulloff if we did it just right lol! Or even if they could hear it, it may sound cool and musical and give a little variety of articulation.

2 Likes

My aim now is to play it using

• List item

All alternating picking starting on a downstroke or upstroke

• List item
    Using pull offs / hammer ons starting on either down- or upstroke

Right now I manage all 4 variations at 140 bpm where my my fastest variant is starting on a downstroke using pull offs

1 Like

Nice! Based on my experience with mixed escape (my main quest as of late) the only word of caution I’d offer is that 140 bpm is suspicious in that it seems to be where partially efficient (i.e. not “garden variety string hopping”) speeds can occurr. The best test here is to determine if you are capped due to fatigue (not good) or coordination/clean playing. The latter is fine and expected, the former is an indicator the motion is not the best one for us.

Sorry to be so dense, but are you saying that Lautaro does 4 notes with (say) USX, then does 1 note with DBX, then does 2 notes with DSX, then 1 note with DBX, and repeats?

Nah, way less complex than all that. And to be clear I didn’t analyze his motions I’m just saying a pure 2 way pickslanting approach is a way to solve this. That would be to stay in USX until that doesn’t work. At that point you’d switch to DSX, so on etc… So, no DBX needed here.

1 Like