Pick grip getting choked up

Hey all,

So I’ve been having this problem where as I’m playing, my grip naturally starts to choke up on the pick to the point where my thumb is so close to the picks tip that I can cause pinch harmonics accidentally and if I don’t adjust the pick it will continue to choke up further.
I start out with a fair bit of the pick showing but it quickly starts to choke up. This doesn’t happen when strumming, mainly just picking.

I was using the angle pad grip but when the grip starts to choke up, my index finger gets in the way of the pick and hits off the strings. I just experimented with the extended trigger grip ( I’ve tried the trigger grip before) and the choking up problem still happens.
I’m getting quite worried now as I’m afraid I won’t be able to play the music I like to play unless there is a way to stop this from happening.

Has anyone experienced this issue and managed to find a solution?

Thanks

bigger pick?

I like picks with grip on them to stop movement.
Though with the “angle pad grip” I would of thought the flesh of the second joint would prevent the pick sliding back more.

Maybe record a video?

Maybe a thumbpick might help to get you used to working with more grip exposure?

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve tried many different types of picks, some with grip, and some different textures but I still tend to have issues in a variety of applications.
I’ve been sticking to the angle pad grip and focusing on where exactly I’m putting pressure on with the thumb. Seems helpful to focus on this specifically. I’ll keep at it and maybe that will help resolve this issue.

Keep a pick with you in everyday life away from the guitar, fiddle with it, feel it, just make a habit of playing with it.

There is a wide range of force you can apply to it, the more finesse you build manipulating it the better you’ll get at applying just the right amount of force to hold it in place but not let it slide, and even if it does slide, you’ll gain an ability to reposition it quickly and effectively.

1 Like