Pick Recommendations

Destroying a Jazz III? How?

1 Like

The edges get worn down and lose their smoothness; I practice a lot.

1 Like

I find the same thing happens. Less so on the ultex jazz III . I find they last a while longer

1 Like

I found a Jazz ultex n you can see both.

1 Like

I just got my 6 packs of Dunlop Flow 1.0 mm and 1.14mm; These are the ones. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

4 Likes

can you post about them? I’ve not used any, but seen them.
There’s also the Dunlop Flex I’ve never tried, Idk how they are different from normal dunlop picks?

I just got a bag of 1.5 Prodigy picks and a bag of JP’s Jazz III’s should be here in a day or 2. Why the couldn’t ship at the same times is… Whatever… lol

I’m loving the Prodigy picks! Even on first pluck, it felt easier. Its a bit smaller than I expected but I can get used that easily. I was going to try the Flows, but I don’t think I’ll bother now. I think the Prodigy but a little bigger would be perfect, but I didn’t see those on the app.

EDIT: It’s been 10 minutes or so and these Prodigy picks are absolutely phenomenal! I kept switching back and forth because I didn’t believe that were as good as they first seemed. But yeah… They’re better. I don’t even want the JP’s now lol

EDIT #2: Running through all of the things and I’m noticing that 2nps EJ-style stuff isn’t as easy to pick as everything else is. Since that type of line is “new” to me, I’m chalking it up to that, but I do think it’s kind of weird. Everything else I’ve picked felt WAY easier from the very start. If I can get the 2nps to feel that easy, I’ll be ready for Desert Rose lol

2 Likes

Lol I destroyed a few prodigy picks - currently working on obliterating my first “flow” pick haha

How long did those Prodigy picks last you?

One thing I do know from not having any picks and just a guitar many times, is any pick is better than none lol, I love the feeling of holding a pick n wacking the strings no matter what it is.

I’m using the Dunlop 1.5 Delrin after many years of Fender medium. Ive noticed a difference in my pick attack.

In the way you attack or the sound of it?

I’m noticing similar with the Prodigy vs the Jazz III Tortex. It seeming like you need “that” much more accurate with the Prodigy than the Jazz III for certain things. I really like the tone with most things but doing 2nps EJ stuff has a “chirp” to it that sounds… off? But not bad. It’s not as noticeable in anything else, or maybe it just doesn’t stick out as much to me as it does with 2nps. I’m guessing that’s a technique thing. I’ve been switching back and forth since yesterday to try things out and I like aspects of both. 2nps feels better on the Jazz III but I’ll be damned if I start switching picks in the middle of lines like a freaking psycho lol

Blue Chip has this pick which has the jazz pick sharp point, but it’s fairly large. “Inspired by Andy Wood”.

Id say my overall sound is diffferent notes more accurate etc. Not garbled or meshed together. But that is in conjunction with studying the pickslant primer and cleaning up my picking overall.

The blue chip pick material is really nice, I use their thumb picks that have a metal band. I ordered a regular teardrop 1.0mm pick by mistake that’s in the mail. Maybe it’ll suite acoustic more.

Lately I’ve gone back to using D’Andreas 1.5mm Pleck. Compared to the purples they’re don’t have the initial click. When I first got them I found they had a little more resistance to the string, maybe it’s the shape and/or the material, and they sounded a bit warmer, though lately I’m really enjoying the very things I didn’t initially like about them. They also seem to last a lot longer, and the tone is very close to the Blue Chip. Having said that, I’ll definitely be trying more Blue Chip 1.5mm in this shape.

D’Andreas does have a jazz shaped pick last I checked, maybe worth a try, they are inexpensive.

1 Like

Yup… These are THE ones!!

And just as I was getting used to the Prodigy picks… These are perfect!!

2 Likes

Those are pretty good picks, but I tend to kind of wear them down even faster than the jazz III’s. My first Flow has been destroyed after a week… I am thinking I may be applying too much pressure? Or perhaps maybe my kind is just simply not worthy of using a plectrum…

*goes out and finds an old rock… decides to just use that…

1 Like

The regular Jazz III Tortex were good and I’d have been fine with using them had I not tried others. The Prodigy picks were very easy to pick with but the chirp it added could get annoying depending on what I was playing. Super fast stuff was fine but when I was practicing 2nps, which took a bit to get used to, the tone was odd. Not bad, but odd. These new JP’s are pretty much everything I liked about the others and without the stuff I didn’t.

What are you defining as “destroyed”? lol I’m not exactly a light picker, and the Ultex ones took a good long while before getting too worn. The Tortex are much more prone to wear, but even with heavy use I can’t imagine only getting a week out of one.

2 Likes

Holy crap I going to post the same thing. Nearly word for word.

@Scottulus why you so angry? Why you pick so hard??? Lol!

2 Likes