Pick slanting/ Cross-picking

Hello,

I realize my picking is horrible (inconsistent) and very prone to string-hopping. I know this for a while. That’s why I’m here (haha).

Now for my “problem”. I know already that pick slanting (exercising) will “solve” my problem for a big part.

But here is my dilemma: I don’t play shred style (metal and such) but some kind of jazz, let’s say fusion. My interests go in de direction of Martin Miller kind of playing. Now as I understand that’s a bit trickier regarding picking, because the lines are complex and sometimes more complicated (chromaticism) and often with arpeggio’s with 1 note per string or odd numbers of notes per string.

I think I understand this can be achieved with cross-picking and the addition of the little movement Martin makes with his fingers (almost consistently).

I think I understood that he makes this movement so that whatever technique used (DWPS/ UWPS/ Cross-Picking) he will switch strings without problems.

But, now here is my problem: Martin Millers technique borders string hopping to my eyes. String hopping is my biggest problem. How can I exercise his technique (playing arpeggio’s for example) without applying my bad habits?

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

P.S. Excuse me for my English (I read too many repetitions for example, poor vocabulary), I am no native English speaker.

1 Like

Hi! The kind of picking technique you need to play various lines really doesn’t depend on musical style that directly. For example, lots and lots of great jazz and fusion lines can be done with Yngwie-style one way pickslanting. This includes lines that have one note per string passages, because you can sweep those.

As an example, here’s a lesson we did on using Yngwie-style technique to play fusion lines using diminished and whole tone sounds:

https://troygrady.com/channels/tutorials/pentatonic-puzzle/pentatonic-puzzle-solutions-the-power-of-fours/

You can also take the Yngwie style and turn it upside down, and now you can do all those same lines backwards. This doesn’t just mean descending lines. It also means ascending lines where the sequence of string changes is backwards. The best example of this we have filmed is the Jimmy Bruno interview, which you can find here:

https://troygrady.com/interviews/jimmy-bruno/interview/

Jimmy is a two-way pickslanter with sweeping, so he can sweep in both directions as well as use alternate picking in both directions. There are many examples of this in the clips from that interview.

In general, there are very few musical phrases which can ONLY be done with a certain type of technique. So few, that you could probably rearrange those few lines on the fretboard to create something that sounds just as good, but fits some other technique which you already know.

Try not to let technique become the limiting factor. Instead, make it the enabling factor!

1 Like

Thanks for your (prompt) reply Troy.

i will keep this things in mind and will start (continue, sort of…) with DWPS. Your diminished and fusion lines sound awesome!

And also the last sentence is gold (Try not to let technique become the limiting factor, make it the enabling factor).

This could be your “slogan”…Golden advice for any musician…

Hugo

2 Likes