Picking Critique Please

Hi All,
Ok been working on DWPS for a few days. I think I was string hopping on a single string so have been trying to be more straight line as Troy has pointed out in other posts. Any feedback on my picking would be greatly appreciated.
I did a few 3NPS lines and the a tremolo.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for posting.

The moderate speed dwps stuff looks fine to me. However, it’s clear from the end of the clip that you can go faster, and your faster movement is your smoother movement. More importantly, your movement at the end of the clips actually switches to uwps for the last few notes. The pick travels a long a whole different diagonal pathway. Watch the clip in slow motion to see this transition.

Why does this matter?

Well, if you’re better at the uwps movement, and can do it faster and more smoothly, then maybe work on that instead! I’m a fan of doing whatever works first since, again, as you correctly point out, in learning picking technique, making a smooth linear motion on a single string is key. And getting the feel of that smoothness is the most important firs step you can take - the exact picking motion you use is much less important. If you have baggage from stringhopping such that you can only do the dwps movement slow and while concentrating, then give the uwps movement a shot.

We discussed the arm and hand setup for doing uwps on the most recent live broadcast. In lieu of that, you can check out other technique critique clips like @CalvinScarified’s thread, since he’s got a good foundation there.

1 Like