Picking Hand keeps hitting volume knob

thats my hope too, but I’m not optimistic for myself -I find that doing anything but leaving my fingers relaxed interferes with my picking motion - instant tension :pensive:

2 Likes

That makes sense. For me it was hitting it randomly and then taking a second to figure out why I was getting no sound or a volume drop. It kind of took care of itself since it doesn’t bother me to hit the knob occasionally. I have a bigger problem hitting the pickup switch on LP style guitars!

1 Like

My knee-jerk response would be one of the two-knob Squier Affinity or Yamaha Pacifica models, but even they have the volume knob in pretty much the same spot as your PRS.

If they meet your other criteria, a low-end Epiphone SG or Les Paul would have the knobs well out of your way.

Some lower-priced 25.5" scale guitars with the knob slightly further away would be some of the low-end Jacksons like this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JS12A24Bk--jackson-dinky-js12-black

Or moving up in price a bit, a Sterling by MM like this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CT30HSSVC--sterling-by-music-man-cutlass-ct30hss-electric-guitar-vintage-cream

If you’re handy, the best low-priced option would probably be to pick up a cheap 3-knob Squier, rewire it as 2-knob (one volume, one tone), and leave the closest knob-mounting hole vacant (optionally cover it with tape or something).

1 Like

This happened a lot on my ibanez guitar when using usx. Eventually I figured out how to avoid it unconsciously.

1 Like

I have large hands—long fingers in particular—so this was a problem for me on my Strat. I finally rewired it, removing one of the tone pots. I grabbed a custom pickguard off Warmoth with just two control holes, then moved the volume knob down a spot. It made my Strat much more playable.

1 Like

I’ve learned to avoid it over time, but, I suspect that with your trailing edge grip, that might be a much harder task?

I’m forearm and wrist, similar setup to Malmsteen, so it’s definitely in the way, but not so much that I couldn’t learn, over time, to avoid it.

2 Likes