Picking paradiddles warm-up, check it out!

That makes sense. These paradiddles are proving to be major speed boosts

1 Like

:scream:
OK I should really start doing your paradiddles :grinning:

1 Like

@tommo Very low time commitment needed! And as @PickingApprentice mentioned, you can just throw them in between reps / riffs as a “palate cleanser” lol.

Well, while the jury is still out regarding its long term benefits, but last night I managed 200bpm 16ths that felt really smooth (albeit a little rough in places) - something I haven’t really managed before (at least 20bpm what I could max do before. I have settled on DUDDUDUU as one that helps me

@Pepepicks66 , you employ lots of DBX in your playing right? I think I do too, but felt tension at times - A cheeky paradiddle sorts it out.

It would be interesting to see if it benefits pure USX/DSX pickers

1 Like

@PickingApprentice that’s awesome!

I wonder if you play certain phrases that have more carryover with that particular permutation? I found those 3 (DUDDUDUU / DDUDUUDU / DUUDUDDU) to be pretty similar for my own purposes.

I think most everything I do is DBX. It’s great to hear that this is having positive effects for that!

I haven’t really thought about this, but it’s a good point. I would assume that if your trem speed is where you want it, then these paradiddles would do nothing for pure USX / DSX. The only benefit I would see is that your pick depth can’t be too deep to do these, which might speed up raw trem speed.

My alt picking is forearm and wrist, so I don’t think it applies. Unless I tried it with forearm and wrist… It did highlight some flaws in my downpicking though so I’m working on that now

1 Like

Did the Gilbert riff with outside and inside picking:

Inside picking I noticed a muting issue with the G string I think, so I’ll work on that as well!

1 Like

Another session for Tumeni Notes:

I tried to focus on a few things:

1. Being able to maintain the riff at speed for at least a few reps.
  2. Commit to fingerings and drill them into memory.
  3. Get more accurate on the position shifts and the feel change for the pedal note portions.

Overall I’m happy with where it’s at, mistakes and all, so next time I’ll start focusing more on note “quality”. I won’t be able to play guitar much until mid January, so y’all might not get any updates from me until then!

5 Likes

Sounds like you are well on your way with this one. Great work

1 Like

Sounds great man. I’ve always wanted to try this one out

2 Likes

I hope so, thank you! I’ve always avoided lots of position shifts so that was an expected hurdle, but the feel change against the metronome definitely was a curveball!

Thanks man, you should give it a go! Also I need to learn how to insert GIFs lol.

2 Likes