Picking Primer need help

Hello, Im new here. Ive reviewed the picking primer videos/lesson and havent seen a lesson or chapter about how I should practice these better picking styles. Maybe I’ve missed it. One can get easily lost on this website but so far all Ive seen are videos of other people using D/U pick slanting or troy talking about it. Cool story, but how do I? Can someone send me the link of the video or lesson Im missing?? Sorry if Ive offended anyone. Just looking to be sent in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Just to make sure you have the overall concept down, have you determined which motion is your best one? There isn’t a specific chapter that says “now go play all these exercises to get really good” and that’s because different motions are good at different phrases. And it’s usually not going to be a “mix and match” either. It’s extremely rare to find people (other than Troy) who are excellent at all the different motions.

There are countless licks/patterns/phrases on the site though. Which ones you choose are going to be determined by what your primary joint motion is. If you can specifically tell me which one you’ve landed on I can give you better advice. In general though:

If you’re USX, try the Yngwie or EJ seminars

If you’re DSX, try the Metronomic Rock seminar

If you can play phrases that are either mostly DSX (with a little USX here and there) or vice-versa, try the AntiGravity seminar

There’s enough tabbed examples with video examples in any one of those to keep you going.

What types of music are you into? There are also all the interviews, which have great tabbed examples too. I’d steer you towards different interviews if you told me you were into fusion than if you told me you were into Bluegrass (though you could watch the Andy Wood interviews and get BOTH lol)

Hope that helps!

1 Like