Playing a fast pattern harder in a single position than moving?

been doing @tommo 's 6/8 Yngwie exercise as a warm up daily.

I can play it up & down index or pinky finger first in either direction at 100 BPM 16th notes.

BUT

if I just play 1 4 3 1 3 4 repeatedly on the same frets with no string changes, it’s actually harder to sustain accuracy than doing it up and down the fretboard.

anyone else found this to be true?

Interesting question - I don’t know because I almost never play single string licks - especially not those that stay in one position for long. When I try to go fast I always seek some kind of movement.

So maybe I do know a little: I’d expect not to be good at something highly repetitive confined to a single position & single string :slight_smile: Could I learn it with practice? not sure but I don’t feel the need to do it right now.

On a mildly related note, I was always amazed at how Pat Martino’s band managed to make the same lick sound amazing for an entire minute or so:

1 Like

Try using the sequence

1 3 2 1 2 3
1 Like

Same for me. I can do about 3-4 passes and then nothing.

And that’s slow too, like 90bpm. If I tried any faster I would get 1 note.

yeah! seems like if you can do the motion over and over FAST with out moving, it’d be easy to move it later. Then again, it could be like learning stuff slow and then adding speed.

I wonder if changing positions or strings gives the brain/muscles a reset.

and if changing from 1 4 3 1 3 4 to 1 4 2 1 2 4 also gives one finger a needed break to keep you going when moving through a scale.

yeah, I’ve been bursting 16th notes at 100 bpm. I can do 3 or 4 and then I fall off.

I have the same problem with PG lick. After couple of repetitions my left hand turns into uncontrollable mad octopus.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Getting Faster - Are Speed Bursts Effective?

Damn it I put this in the wrong thread, sorry. It was supposed to go here;

I saw that post and that’s what got me thinking about bursting again!

I track my daily practice on a spreadsheet and I see that about a week ago I couldn’t even do 3 bursts at 100 bpm 16th note triplets without losing control. Now I can do 4 or 5.

I guess this all backs up what @Troy and others have called chunking.

1 Like

what’s the time code of the exercise on that video, @joebegly ?

Sounds to me like it’s working then :slight_smile: Thanks, and sorry for spamming your thread accidentally!!!

regarding your question for the timestamp on that exercise from the jp video it’s around t=2342. Somewhere around 38 minutes into the video.

no problem! I probably should’ve posted this in that thread!

Cool! and back to your thread, do you have a link to tommo’s 6/8 yngwie thing? I’m curious to see if I can reproduce what you and other are seeing here. I tend to do a lot of mindlessly playing patterns in one place (typically while I’m on zoom calls and on mute lol). Wondering if I should be moving around more see better results or something. I’d like to see the original exercise so I can understand if it’s a fatigue thing, like using the same fingers over and over or if the shifting actually does something special.

yes, sorry, I was out in the middle of nowhere (Caddo Lake in NE Texas) for a funeral for several days. That exercise of @tommo 's is here:

yes, I do that on zoom calls, too! ha!

Thanks for the slice. And sorry to hear about the funeral :worried:

update on this for @joebegly

I have spent the last week trying get my single position 1 4 3 1 3 4 endurance up and it’s working!

I was out of town for several days with just an acoustic. I was out of my daily routine of doing these at 100 bpm 6/8 16th notes but still sat and did these sans metronome - even on the long drive.

upon arrival home, I can burst these at least 6 or 7 times without falling off. In fact, I was able to sustain the pattern over many more repetitions right off the bat. I was surprised I could do this cold.

I did this for five minutes and though fatigue set in, I’m noticeably better at this.

as a result, I do seem to in fact be more accurate on @tommo 's exercise and when playing moving down a single string in a scale with these three note patterns.

anyway. it’s working and bursting definitely helped.

Nice. Looks like a vote for coordination/endurance then. Thanks for sharing your results!

1 Like