Poor Picking Speed

I just purchased the CtC magnet and was hoping on some feedback and critique of my alternate picking. I’ve been serious about playing for about 9 months-ish and cant seem to get past 110 BPM w/ 16th notes. I’m not really sure if I’m using upward or downward pick slanting. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey there, welcome to the Forum!

Scales are some of the hardest things to play fast on a guitar, especially when you are just getting started.

Most people first develop their fast picking skills on a single string — and in fact the starting point we often suggest around here is to just try to do a fast tremolo on a single note on a single string.

So… try that and let’s see what it looks like :slight_smile:

EDIT: also, these vids are a good watch!

Hey thanks for the quick response. Here’s what tremolo picking looks like on string.

Thanks again

Cool, the slo-mo makes it a little hard to judge the bigger picture aspects of the motion, but based on results alone I’d guess your limiting factor is that you are “string-hopping”, which is explained in the first video I posted.

I’d recommend to watch that and see if you recognise the issue in your playing. Then, I would watch the second video and try the tapping test that Troy demonstrates without a guitar. That will give you a feel for what fast and efficient motion might feel like.

Hi!

What’s the fastest you can play downstrokes only? It can be a single note or a chord. Whatever feels comfortable.

Hey,

Im only at 85 BPM @16th notes

To me it looks like you’re doing BDX. Double escape.

You could try stimulate your nervous system to go faster by doing some economy.

And in my experiance, it took years before I started to get speed. If you’ve just started it really does take years to get a grip on the guitar.

You say 9 months serious, how long have you been practicing?

Is that your downstrokes-only speed? Well then, how about hitting the string on the way back instead of avoiding it? This way you’ll have 170bpm alternate picking “for free” :slight_smile:

If that feels confusing, think of it this way: you are doing your usual repeated downstrokes at 85bpm, but you are not making any effort to avoid the string on the way back. You are NOT paying any attention to the upstrokes. You will just focus on the downstrokes an let the upstrokes happen as a byproduct of the pick coming back to its starting position.

As usual, if you make a video of the attempt the community can help make sure you’re on the right track!