Practice method for progress on lower strings

Hi all,
Bit of a follow-on from a post I started a long time ago

I still struggle with tracking across 6 strings with 2WPS. I am making good gains moving across the top 3 or 4 strings - mechanically I feel quite smooth and sometimes ‘only’ approx 25bpm from my goal tempo , but that level of speed and control on the bottom 2 strings still eludes me. In brief I need to keep the same mechanic throughout the transitions.

So my question is, considering that I still have a way to go with my technique/mechanics on the strings I’m more comfortable with - what should I do?

A - keep working hard on the top 4 strings, get closer to the goal tempo. Then try and replicate on the last 2 strings - hoping that I would have baked in my mechanics enough for it to work without too much hassle

B - Place massive focus on trying to get the lower strings up to the current level of the upper strings.

C- Quit bitching about how hard it is for me to Improve and do both in equal measure! Lol

Very interested in how peeps here would tackle this and whether anyone has a similar experience.

1 Like

Following. I use mainly wrist deviation and am in the same boat. I do find after chasing another mechanic for awhile (e.g. gypsy style forearm for 10-15 min) that my bass string tracking is smoother with wrist deviation…for a little (5-10 min). Weird…but…fun weird.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the response.

Haha!

So are you chasing another mechanic with the intention of incorporating it on some level? Or for it to become your new/go to mechanic?

Just having fun…taking the ‘try everything’ approach. I can see how each mechanical system has its own vocabulary…so I’d like to get a handle on several mechanics to branch out musically.

I’m no expert, but I found that slightly rotating the hand towards an UPS motion gives me a better angle on the 3 lower strings. ( only very slight though).

Hey @PickingApprentice, is the problem happening only when moving from high to low strings, or do you have the same difficulties when playing the low strings alone?

Also, do you have the same issue with USX-only, DSX-only and/or “two-way pickslanting” (e.g. pepsi) licks?

I think it could be useful to identify the “problem” before piling up more reps :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response @DjangoUntrained, I’ve had mixed success with that but I’ll revisit your suggestion as it was a while ago (its suprising how things change in a relatively short period of time).

Good questions - I will check tonight with guitar in hand, but my instinct (+ the previous mentioned email) is that I become more radially deviated rather than straight or the ideal ulnar deviated.

Thanks peeps! I’ll report back!

I managed to take a look and the biggest challenge is outside picking on the two lowest strings, especially playing the Paul Gilbert fragment with 1 note on the A string and back to the E string. Now don’t get me wrong, that is the weakest part of my picking overall regardless of what strings I’m on, but playing it on the bottom 2 strings is like hitting a brick wall.

I do find it generally harder to manage these strings, but I can play ascending and descending fragments if I’m established in that position. For example, I can play the opening riff to PGs Scarified quite close to tempo because of the low e string 16ths that help establish my mechanics before the 16th triplets kick in.

I’m a lot worse at DSX-only overall - my picking mechanic is (I think) primarily USX, but is curved in trajectory. So I tend to engage a DSX with the wrist and rotation - often my mind is trapped in ‘old money’ as I still think of “down, up and rotate”. I am working on ignoring pick orientation and concentrating on path of the pick only.

Two other thing I did notice -

1. was the height of my low e-string - it is a smidgen lower than the a string and wonder if raising it a hair’s breadth would allow a more shallow angle when ascending from e to a-string with outside picking - to compensate for my less that perfect DSX.

2. Playing on the low e-string feels different to all others as there is no sensation of strings underneath the thumb side of my wrist/hand - I think I use this as a guide for my hand position and without it, my hand is floating all over the place!

1 Like