Primary Motion - Am I USX or DSX?

I think it’s explained best in the “RDT” videos, which are quite new.
It explains how to set up to perform a very fast wrist motion which is capable of “mixed escape”.

I wouldn’t be able to explain it any better than those videos as I’ve not experimented with it much just yet. But the videos are quite hands on and practical.

Are you going for USX or DSX here? Just asking because I don’t see much of the ‘rest’ stroke happening. You may want to try this on the B string just to be sure. Rest stroke isn’t required or anything but it can help indicate the trajectory

You no longer looks like you’re stringhopping, but it’s still sort of a low speed to determine just how efficient this will be. Do you feel like you can’t go faster than that with this setup? Also, you may want to try this with some amp volume just so you can get a good sense of the attack. An electric with no volume doesn’t respond the same way as it would in a realistic situation and you might work harder than you need to just to get volume. Not that you need to pick lightly or anything, but you get the idea.

How does this feel? I’m not sure it’s the ‘right’ motion yet but it seems like an improvement over the bouncy stuff. I’d try going faster, with amp volume and see what happens. You may need to mess around with pick orientation too as it seems like it’s getting ‘stuck’ at times. When this is done correctly, it will have very smooth feel.

Lastly, I have great intentions but I’m not always right. Have you tried submitting an ‘official’ technique critique? It’s included in the price of your membership. You’ll get guaranteed, detailed feedback from Troy or Tommo and they’re sure to steer you in the right direction.

I’m going for USX. I’ve been practicing the 6 note per string phrase from the USX video on Yngwie. My focus is to stop that wrist extension and just do the deviation. It seems to be speeding up already - I think (but I need some more time to make sure. It definitely feels different when I move to the B string… it might be because I’m used to feel of the E string but perhaps it’s because the movement is kind of stopped by the E string when I am down-picking on the B whereas on the high E string - it can fly away. I’m not too sure!

Cool. It doesn’t look like USX to me, at least definitely not at the last 3rd of the video. The pick is traveling toward the B string and even does hit some rest strokes on it, which would indicate either DSX or trapped. That was why I suggested to maybe be very intentional with DSX.

I would definitely add some more pick point to tame the garage spikes!

1 Like