Pronated rotational forearm?

Hi again!

Just came to think of this, is it possible to have an effectient pronated rotational forearm picking movement? I don’t think I’ve seen anyone do it, but i haven’t really been keeping an eye out for it either.

Is it a common thing? Or is there an anatomical reason why it wouldn’t work or work as effeciently as a supinated technique?

1 Like

most traditional rest stroke gypsy jazz players use pronation and supination of the forearm.

The way i taught myself was after every rest stroke i would think or even say out loud, turn wrist down or turn wrist up, depending on if I was doing a downstroke or an upstroke. just to make sure i wasn’t doing ulnar and radial deviation of the wrist (this is pulling the pick up and pushing the picking down in a straight line).

2 Likes

It’s taken a lot of work, but I am getting there. I have learned a lot, and am learning tons about getting it to work while making it efficient, and thusly fast.

Jimmy Herring is one particularly badass player who does it well… Troy introduced me to him a few months back…

2 Likes